Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CC Comae Berenices - 2019-03-28

CC Com is a W UMa type eclipsing variable - these are low mass contact binaries that overflow their Roche lobes. I captured this light curve last night (28th Mar 2019). Each point is a single 40sec exposure through an Astrodon V filter, on my 350mm f4.6 Newt (using ST2000XM). Primary minimum (the second) has an interesting flat spot in my data - from other curves in the AAVSO database, this looks to be correct.

Measurements.png.5eaf221ddf4a6b8b3b7c70286248ac9d.png

The variable apparently (recently) shows some variation in the timings of the minima vs the original calculated timings - here's the graph from the Krakow database going back over time. I need to read up on how to correctly determine the minimum, and then do the conversion back to HJD to compare this to my readings. 

COMCC.PNG

Lovely set of data. This one brings back memories. Many Moons ago I did the Open University practical course "Observing the Universe" in Majorca and this star we used as a team project introducing us to photometry using MaximDL on one of the nights.

Dave

Archived