SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NV eyepieces - a new potential equipment segment?

vlaiv

• 4 months later...
On 29/03/2019 at 22:49, Thalestris24 said:

You know that if you have to ask for a price, you probably can't afford it! Still, I came across this price list in Euros:

https://alpha-photonics.com/wp-content/uploads/Price_List.pdf

Please note these prices do not include the monocular housing. Monocular is very important too, there are several types and some are better than others.

Also very few tubes are good for astronomy and there are no 2 identical tubes. Sellers have no idea about what tubes are good for astronomy, they required very specific specs. And they won't allow you to to choose the right tube. So it's important to check with seller or other Night Vision astronomers on this forum to know if you do the right choice. 

On 29/03/2019 at 17:57, vlaiv said:

I think that you are quite right in growing EAA/NV potential. I'm not sure that AP practitioner base will shrink, people do get hooked to it, but given the cost and involvement, over time, many people wanting to start "taking pictures" of night sky will turn to EAA (live stacking) rather than full fledged AP.

Both NV and Live stacking need simplification / cost reduction and user friendliness to move forward at speed. At the moment I think NV is hampered both by high price and also availability and legislative. Some countries prohibit use of these devices, because they are often associated with firearms - either in military or hunting role.

Dedicated astro NV device would certainly be exempt from such laws?

As a Night Vision Astronomy vendor, I can confirm NV device can be sold worldwide except in some territories like Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela... 

I am not allowed to put my Night Vision Astronomy website link so you can PM if you want more info.