Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette at last

Ive tried this so many times during my painstaking course of AP.

Tonight I decided to have last go at The Rosette before the clocks change and it goes behind the garage until next year.

Anyway its far from the best result id been chasing but nevertheless heres my attempt.

42 mins of subs with darks bias etc

Comments very welcome

Cheers

Clears Skies

Stu ?

rosette1.jpg

30 minutes ago, ebdons said:

Yes! you nailed it! well done Sir!  just needs a bit more processing or subs?  bit glowy in the centre but I get that with QHY10 now and again, but still a great image.Ton

Yeah was a very quick and late process last night I'll try again with it later.

What filter do you use if any and  could you give us some specs on subs length  180 secs or longer etc, and amount of them etc. I don't usually take darks for the QHY10 just flats and bias only. ton

8 minutes ago, ebdons said:

What filter do you use if any and  could you give us some specs on subs length  180 secs or longer etc, and amount of them etc. I don't usually take darks for the QHY10 just flats and bias only. ton

Was 6 x 420 sec subs with darks from my dark library and flats bias etc. Yeah sometimes I get different results adding the darks in. Like I say it was late and a rush.

Ok that's good info, I think with Qhy8 and 10 you either take loads (50) or more darks or none at all. I found that darks have less of an impact on shorter exp on the QHY and depending on the filter etc, I did 2 hrs on the cave neb with just an ir cut and was surprised I got detail I could see clearly without any darks, I will come back to caldwell 9 in the coming months. clear skies tonite I hope. Ton

Glad to see you got there! I felt the same way about the Horse -- months of waiting for clear nights, putzing around, and then finally four decent nights in which I eked out a couple hours of integration time. Well, if it were easy they wouldn't need us to do it, right?

13 minutes ago, rickwayne said:

Glad to see you got there! I felt the same way about the Horse -- months of waiting for clear nights, putzing around, and then finally four decent nights in which I eked out a couple hours of integration time. Well, if it were easy they wouldn't need us to do it, right?

I did the same with the horse. Spent ages getting absolutely nothing then suddenly there it was.

15 minutes ago, rickwayne said:

20190203_111357.jpg

Ok after some 30 years of being interested in this subject and lo and behold being able to capture something in black white and colour it's now got me hook line and sinker.

Ok I've posted a few images on here over the last 2 years but believe me that's how long it takes to start making sense.

Believe me the last image on here by me is far from the shiny happy people image I want to collect and share. Read every post you can and try to learn from it.

Honestly through months of trying......... nothing really made sense. Then it suddenly did.

Rome wasn't built in a day and AP took forever ?

Yep that's how I see myself now, couple of years of fine tuning the mount, guiding and exposure/flats/bias darks etc and filter experience? I found imaging pretty difficult but I think I'm not alone in that. infact my images from the last 2 years are mostly just junk? and a learning run-thru of the hobby. tony

I'm going to write a new topic called haven't a clue what I'm doing.

Honestly it would be apt and the same in the same sentence. Make sense of that lol.

Seriously.......... this game is very hard, frustrating enjoyable. Many things including cost.... lol.

The main thing being cost lol.

I'm a musician. Well drummer lol

The peeps in this game venture from All walks of life. Clever. Not so. Bryan May.Me etc etc etc. And so happy in this day and age we've got a website we all talk on and share ideas. Honestly 3 months ago i had the same gear I've got now but wouldn't of known what plate solving was. Or how go use it.

Yeah, just starting to see what PS is all about, but one step at a time, it becomes second nature after a while, problem is when we have to wait so long for the weather to clear, that's for everyone I guess? clear skies again soon. Ton

The musician reference is telling. I was literally just quoting Pat Metheney on another forum, referring to how punishing to the ego it is to constantly see these great astrophotos and then look at my stuff, scuff my shoe at a rock, stick my hands in pockets. But: "Always be the worst guy in every band you're in". SO much to learn in AP, but it helps to be (virtually or physically) around those more advanced. Even looking at their better pictures helps.

My setup occasionally gets a little notional with plate-solve-and-slew, but it has literally been a game-changer for me. I have wasted big pieces of many a clear night, spending an hour just trying to get the bleepin' scope focused and POINTED AT THE TARGET! HOW HARD COULD IT BE??!!!! HOW STUPID AM I, ANYWAY!!

Fortunately most of those nights happened in a state park that is the nearest good dark site to my house. In the cold months I am often literally the only person in the park. n astrophotography, nobody can hear you swear...

Well the perseverance has certainly paid off, well done that is a great image. :thumbright:

I have not been imaging for very long and still striving to get an image anywhere near as good as that but one thing I learn't early on is that in this game you really need perseverance, good results do not come to you on a plate, and I now understand all the hard work that goes into the fantastic images I see on this forum.

Steve

Nice work. Glad you got it in time. Always good to get another one off the list. I was hoping for a good image of M81 last night. Left it all running well with Ha for luminance and rogb subs all set up. Got up this morning to find the guide Star was lost halfway through the red subs. No blue or green. Should have set it to cycle through but you live and learn. Will try and finish it next clear night. 

Archived