SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sun spots

What size scope will I need to observe sun spots. My binos are 20 x 80 and I can't see any at all. 

I'm a bit disappointed at what  I can see other than just  stars,  which  I can see with my eyes. I'm still waiting  to view some planets which  I haven't found yet, or should I say I don't think I have.

Thanks

20 x 80s will show you plenty of widefield objects such as open clusters and potentially nebula using filters under a dark sky.

The sun is very quiet at the moment, with only the odd small spot every now and then. I assume you are using Baader solar film?

Planets generally need alot more magnification, but you will see the moons around Jupiter and that it is a disk. You should also just about see Saturn's rings, but generally planets are better through a scope.

• Like 1

Hi Stu 

Yes I'm using a filter.

What scope woukd uou say is a good one to see more than my binos. 

What are the filters you talk about.

Cheers

Edited by Chaza
Addition

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chaza, do your binoculars have threads for filters?

A O-III, H beta and UHC would be good for nebula viewing. 

The Baader Neodymium is a bit of a “jack of all trades” filter when starting out. 

On 28/03/2019 at 18:23, Chaza said:

Hi Stu 

Yes I'm using a filter.

What scope woukd uou say is a good one to see more than my binos. 

What are the filters you talk about.

Cheers

Any telescope that will give you sufficient magnification will be suitable. I've used my Meade refractor, suitably filtered using a solar filter, to view sunspots. Unfortunately, the sun is very quiet at the moment with little activity.

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/sunspots/

Even a 9x50 finder will show spots. There are filters made to fit finders. I’ve used one as a quick look scope to see if it’s worth getting something bigger out.

There is a very usefull app called Solar Monitor Pro which I use on my iPad

http://www.solarmonitor-pro.com/ipad/

Or the simpler iPhone / iPad version

https://www.solarmonitor-app.com/

27 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Any telescope that will give you sufficient magnification will be suitable

Just to emphasise this point, this picture was taken with a 50mm Spotting scope fitted with Baader Solar film, and using x30 magnification. I suspect your problem has been the lack of activity ie nothing to see! Keep an eye on SGL and also the apps which the guys have posted and try again when there is a good sized spot visible.

I enjoy using a 4" refractor with a Herschel Wedge and find it gives excellent detail when conditions are good. I use a binoviewer in it as it helps reduce the impact of floaters which I suffer from, and also allows more relaxed viewing.

PSX_20190411_185525.jpg

11 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Last week week when there was a prominent sunspot group on the solar disc, this was easily visible through my Lunt 8 x 32 Sunoculars.

John

Yep, that's the one in my shot John, I think!

I have a set of 20x90 bins, and planets are not much more than stars are with them. Bins and scopes simply cant be compared with each other. A scope of any aperture (with solar filter) will show sun spots and planets to various degrees depending on aperture.

I have a set of 8x32 Sunoculars. I love them. I can grab them and have a quick scan of the Sun. If there's any spots..............i will get out my scope and white light Hershel wedge or my Quark.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1