Narrowband

NGC 2403 (M33's little sister?)

Shibby

Here is my completed image of NGC 2403, captured in LRGBHa. It's taken some time to get all the data together and process. In fact, I think this is the first image I've managed to produce at all this year due to some circumstances.

Strangely, you don't seem to see NGC 2403 as frequently as it deserves - it's actually quite a decent size in the sky and is visible all year round from the UK, albeit a little low in the summer. It's part of the M81/M82 group and, being face on, it does look somewhat like M33's little sister!

The Ha really adds a lot to the galaxy, there's lots of interesting HII regions and I've tried my best to blend those in. I also tried capturing some shorter colour data for the stars, but my haphazard processing skills have let me down as it didn't seem to add much.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Here's the details:

Capture

• L: 39 x 600s
  • RGB: 12 x 600s each
  • Ha: 20 x 300s
  • Extra RBG for stars : 20 x 60s each
  • Total: 14.5 hours

Equipment

• Camera: Atik 460ex
  • Optics: SW MN190
  • Mount: AP Mach1GTO
  • Guiding: QHQ5L-ii & Orion mini guidescope

Processing

• DeepSkyStacker
  • Photoshop

701340547_NGC2403-LRGBHa2.thumb.png.87a1b88c3ab1380b07d6831a358d82b7.png

Edited by Shibby
  • Like 17

Sorry to post again, but I realised I'd messed up the core with my Ha layer, now fixed. Why can't I get it right first time! Maybe you didn't notice, but it's really bothering me since I realised!

Also forgot to mention - I really like that little galaxy in the bottom-right corner :D

processed-LRGB-corefix-smaller.png.8ab2a742970ad4d165a81dc81c6543ae.png

Edited by Shibby