SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMOD gamepad recommendation please

Astrokev

Hi all. 

EQMOD is working fine, but I've realised a gamepad controller would be a really useful addition to help me nudge/slew whilst looking through the eyepiece. 

Please could anyone recommend what model/ make works best. Also, is a wireless version better than wired?

thanks

I've used a Microsoft wired Xbox controller and a Venom wireless xbox controller with Eqmod without problems. The wireless one is handy for not getting the cable wrapped around the mount if you walk the wrong way in the dark. :D

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a wireless Xbox controller for some while now, and it works pretty well. It does seem to get through the batteries pretty fast though and when they start running down it can produce some erratic results. Generally though it's been     a very useful bit of kit... I seem to remember it wasn't cheap though??

Steve

I paid £12 each for two wireless gamepads and both work fine. I have the receiver on an extended usb lead with it positioned high up in the roof and reliable operation is about 8 metres.  Watch out for the gamepad going to sleep if not used for a while. I have the switches and pads set up for RA/DEC, E stop, four slew speeds, Park/Unpark and all confirmed via ascom voice files.

Can post a picture of the gamepad if required

20190416_203922.jpg

see the switch marked start in the middle. just press where its gone to sleep and the little led lower down will light back up. Pressing the mode button changes the led from red to green but either mode works

hope that helps

there is a teaching mode in ascom that lets you set up what each button does but not all are recognised by ascom

4 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

see the switch marked start in the middle. just press where its gone to sleep and the little led lower down will light back up. Pressing the mode button changes the led from red to green but either mode works

hope that helps

there is a teaching mode in ascom that lets you set up what each button does but not all are recognised by ascom

Thanks for that, it looks spot on with the numbers on the buttons for slew speeds. 

I will have a look on the internet for one ??

Archived