Eyepieces for Quark

BGazing

So I've been considering Quark for use in my two refractors, and it appears that plossls are recommended. Baader zoom does duty for my white solar, but quark adds 4.2x barlow and the focal lengths get really long.

Borg 71 with Quark would get to 1680mm and around f/25, Tak 3100mm and f/31. I have some surplus 40mm plossl, would be 77x in Tak. Should I get 24 and 32mm Plossls or both? Should I be thinking in terms of magnification or exit pupil here? Seeing is hardly ever good for more than 100x in solar, most likely less...what are experiences of Quark users?

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I use my Quark mainly for imaging but for visual generally use a TV32mm Plossl with 152mm refractor.

Dave

Interesting. If I am not mistaken, that is around 117x in your scope (so fairly high with regard to typical solar seeing), but given how fast 152 is, it is 32mm in f/24 system.

Anyone tried it in faster or slower?

The 32mm will be fine, but the 24mm will be slightly too higher magnification. I found the lower the power the better the views when I had the Quark. Eyepiece selection, from a magnification perspective, is fairly limited for the Quark ? not that it is a problem as the views can be excellent when the sun is playing ball.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, xtreemchaos said:

the trick with using a badder zoom with a quark to its best is to have a 50% reducer screwed to it and - double the difference. i find it works well even with a f11 scope if the seeing spot on.. charl.

I am aware the zoom is not particularly suitable, was asking about Baader 32mm plossl, it is a bit different from the other plossls, it seems.

Archived