Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ Gti WiFi + SW 130 PDS

On 26/03/2019 at 08:56, steviebee said:

I was wondering if anyone has used a Skywatcher 130PDS on the AZ GTI mount?

I have the AZ GTI mount, but not that telescope. I use a Skywatcher 127 Maksutov. So I can't offer any hands on experience.

But here's something you may want to consider: According to the datasheet of the 130PDS, it weighs 4 Kg. The AZ GTI mount says it can handle up to 5 kg.

So in theory, that should be ok. But it's a tight fit, if you're considering adding anything else.

Just thought I'd mention it, without realy knowing what you want to know.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can actualy fit a counterweight to the mount. That'll propably help stability if you're pushing the weight limit.

Edited by George Gearless
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 07:56, steviebee said:

I was wondering if anyone has used a Skywatcher 130PDS on the AZ GTI mount?

Hello Steeviebee

I use the setup that you mention above and it works very well for me indeed. I use the combo for viewing and some astrophotography with my Canon 1100D. I find it a lightweight grab and go setup too.

Regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

• Like 1

Thank you George I will certainly bear that in mind

Thank you Hadyn, sorry to be a pain but do you have a picture of your set up. I have the Canon 1000D, but will probably use an Altair GPCAM as and when funds allow. Forgot to say I would probably use it on the tripod off of my EQ3 for extra stability.

Edited by steviebee

• 3 weeks later...

Drunk Coler, could you keep me posted on this please. I have just bought the synscan pro kit for my EQ3, but would really like the AZ Gti setup for portability. As for power tank I use a jump starter. I had one from eurocarparts, served me well until I let someone jump start their car and after that it would not charge. I think they may have put the terminals on the wrong way round. I got another off of eBay for £37 same as the other one but only 600 amp as opposed to 900. Both of which seem to do a good job. Far cheaper than the specific power packs that are being sold.

Steve.

On 28/03/2019 at 10:49, George Gearless said:

I have the AZ GTI mount, but not that telescope. I use a Skywatcher 127 Maksutov. So I can't offer any hands on experience.

But here's something you may want to consider: According to the datasheet of the 130PDS, it weighs 4 Kg. The AZ GTI mount says it can handle up to 5 kg.

So in theory, that should be ok. But it's a tight fit, if you're considering adding anything else.

Just thought I'd mention it, without realy knowing what you want to know.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can actualy fit a counterweight to the mount. That'll propably help stability if you're pushing the weight limit.

I also have a Skymax 127 and I am considering buying the AZ GTI Mount to replace my AZ Goto Synscan.  Do you image anything with your set up?  How do you find it generally?

Will do steviebee, only problem is the mount is now on back order from flo as I waited too long to hit the buy button, bout 2 weeks till I get it. I've been looking at the "powertraveller mini g" power bank as I'm after something small as opposed to an actual tank and the mini g seems to fit the description as I'm in Ireland I'm restricted to what's already here with the battery shipping laws and its only a few more quid than an actual skywatcher tank and it is small enough for me to put in my work bag and use every day as an actual spare charger for phones and speakers as well so not just used for the mount.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 17:31, Star-Gazer said:

I also have a Skymax 127 and I am considering buying the AZ GTI Mount to replace my AZ Goto Synscan.  Do you image anything with your set up?  How do you find it generally?

I did use it for imaging. My very first nebula (Orion) was caught with a Skymax127 and the AZ GTI mount. I'll be honest with you; it is not ideal for deepsky. However, the moon and planets is where the maksutov truly shines and the GTI follows them quite nicely. Well enough for some realy good photos at least. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show you of the moon or planets. My endevours has been drawn to deepsky the past couple of months. And for that purpose I have primarily used my new equatorial mount and Skywatcher 80 apo-chromatic refractor.

If you already have a AZ Goto Synscan, opting for the AZ GTI is not much of an upgrade to be honest. You'll get the same 'precision' (or lack there of) as the one you already have. The only upgrade you'll experience, is that the App is intuitively much easier to use. Finding objects, reading info and such. Aligning is also a bit easier, because you can choose the stars from a dropdown menu, rather that stepping back and forth on your handset. So in that respect, it's an upgrade. But that's about it.

The downside of using an App, is that when you adjust your telescope, be it while alignment or just regualar adjustment, you can't 'feel' the buttons on the App. So you'll have to remove your eye from the eyepiece to look at the App, then back to the eyepiece, etc etc. It is much easier to operate a handset where you can feel the keys.

You may improve upon your mount (or the GTI) by getting a wedge for it. I did not get it to work properly before I got my equatorial mount, so I can't realy comment on its usefulness. You'll need to download a firmware update so that your mount operates in EQ mode (it's free to download). But you'll need to mount your telescope the other way round. And since it's a Mak, with fixed dovetail, your finderscope will be at the bottom of the telescope. Quite awkward position.

I'd still recommend it to 'newbies' without blinking an eye. It is by far the easiest grab n go mount that I have seen. The App on the phone is intuitively much easier to operate (sets the time and location automaticaly) and is stabil enough to service a Mak127 quite well. Sure, you'll start getting in trouble at high magnification with a Barlow. But that'll happen on any mount at some point.

My recommendation to you is to not buy it. Not because it is bad, but because what you have is just as good. 

PS: Sorry about the late reply. I've been away and without internet (gasp) since thursday

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 130ps AZ Gti bundle. I’m doing mostly EAA and I’m very happy with it. One thing I’m not entirely happy is the focuser of the 130ps but if you go for the 130pds you will have everything sorted...

Flavio

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2019 at 09:56, Deflavio said:

I have the 130ps AZ Gti bundle. I’m doing mostly EAA and I’m very happy with it. One thing I’m not entirely happy is the focuser of the 130ps but if you go for the 130pds you will have everything sorted...

Flavio

have the same  scope,  and looking to do EAA with it also, so was wondering if you could tell me what camera etc your using. Also any other pointers to help get me started would be great thanks

and sorry to OP if im hijacking the thread;)

• 1 year later...

I have the 130pds and the skywatcher Gti with a skywatcher wedge which I used in Eq mode  With counter weights. I found the after putting  an electric focuser on it with a guide scope and finder scope and using a coma Corrector it was too heavy. I’ve replaced the mount with  a heq5 pro mount and not looked back. I wish I had bought a bigger mount in the first place. 

Edited by Colinhunter
Wording