Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Hi,

I'm totally New to this hobby and i'm having trouble understanding something in stellarium.
I have ordered (not recieved) a Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PDS, which has a 25mm eyepiece 50degrees FOV as a default.
I also have a Nikon D810.

I wanted to get an idea of what my field of view would be with the 25mm eyepiece (30x on 750mm focal length), 
and also what it would be With my Nikon D810 mounted shooting prime Focus - no eyepieces.

What surprised me was that it wasnt much difference between the frame and size of the object i get with 30x magnification (25mm eyepiece), and what i get with the Nikon D810 mounted. 
I dont get this. What magnification do i get With my DSLR mounted with no eyepiece?

Ramme Nikon D810.jpg

Sensor settings D810.jpg

Sky-watcher 25mm eyepiece.jpg

There is no magnification associated with DSLR or other sensors.

Magnification is ratio between angular extent in the sky when viewed with naked eye vs apparent angular extent when viewed thru the eyepiece.

Image on the other hand has no magnification because it depends on both screen size and observer distance to that screen. Put the same image on your computer screen and view it from 2ft away and then move 20ft away - image will look smaller when you look at it (regular perspective, whole computer screen will look smaller as well).

What can help when thinking about extent of target visible in the eyepiece vs extent of it on surface of the sensor is actual focal plane size of things. Your sensor has 35.9mm x 24 mm - which makes diagonal of it 43mm. 25mm eyepiece has field stop of about 22mm, or about half of your sensor diagonal.

So if M31 fits on your sensor diagonal in length, you will be able to see about half of it in your 25mm eyepiece. Above Stellarium plugin shows this nicely.

• Like 1

Thank you. I THINK i understood what you were explaining. If i had a 43mm Eyepiece, it would have the same "magnification"  as the Nikon, right?

37 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

Thank you. I THINK i understood what you were explaining. If i had a 43mm Eyepiece, it would have the same "magnification"  as the Nikon, right?

If you had eyepiece with 43mm field stop (not focal length of eyepiece - that is different thing), then galaxy would fit inside eyepiece FOV in the similar way it fits on the sensor, yes.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LuminousCRO
      I was looking to get into astrophotography with my 10 inch dobson and for start would like to buy something affordable. Cameras can be used or new. Thanks in advance!
    • By R26 oldtimer
      I see that there are some great actions for PS out there but they come at a price. Have you come across any free and good actions, that you can recommend?
    • By bottletopburly
      Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .
    • By alexwolf
      The second bugfix release for series 0.19.
      Thank you very much to community for bug reports, feature requests and contributions!
      Full list of changes between versions 0.19.1 and 0.19.2:
      - Added support DMS and DD formats for parallactic angle feature
      - Added altitude limitation filter for AstroCalc/Graphs[AltVsTime/ME] tools
      - Added visual improvements for AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added new time intervals for AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added computation of ephemeris for all naked-eye visible planets into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added GUI for select the color of ephemeris markers into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added 2 new scripts (Saturnian and uranian analemmas)
      - Added 'k Pup' designation to star HIP 37229 (GH: #706)
      - Added information about progress of loading on splash screen (GH: #719)
      - Added a new skylore for Stellarium: Anutan
      - Added support catalog "Southern Stars embedded in nebulosity" (Van den Bergh and Herbst, 1975 - VdBH)
      - Added support "Catalogue and distances of optically visible H II regions" (Dickel+, 1969 - DWB)
      - Added distances for few LDN objects
      - Added support removing shortcuts through config.ini file (GH: #724)
      - Added extraInfoString to StelObject: Allows extra info injected by plugins or scripts.
      - Added display of Apex/Antapex points (GH: #737)
      - Added "observers" for all planets with moons (GH: #736)
      - Added IAU constellation abbreviation to object info
      - Added 3 new actions
      - Added settings for Script Console (GH: #741)
      - Added Vanuatu (Netwar) skyculture (GH: #762)
      - Added few asterisms (GH: #753, #768)
      - Added new one time step into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #758)
      - Added few new DSO textures (GH: #756, #780)
      - Added support Vec3d into scripting engine
      - Added a Messier Marathon script (GH: #771)
      - Added support for short weekday display modes in bottom toolbar
      - Added GUI option to toggle permanent orbit drawing
      - Added hyperbolic comet C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) [2I/Borisov] into default ssystem_minor.ini file
      - Added a scripting function for refraction (GH: #778)
      - Fixed coloring text issue when formatting output is on
      - Fixed saving properties for external software/remote computer in Telescope Control plugin (GH: #702)
      - Fixed behaviour of selected ephemeris marker when sorting not for date (AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool)
      - Fixed sorting date and time columns for AstroCalc/Ephemeris and AstroCalc/Phenomena tools
      - Fixed crash on destruction of static QWidget (GH: #720)
      - Fixed small difference of values issue for different time zones for Date and Time column in AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #717)
      - Fixed stupid conversion bug in hmsToRad function (GH: #716)
      - Fixed an asymmetry w.r.t. to the ecliptic latitudes (Moon age)
      - Fixed Search Tool/Lists behaviour for VdBH catalog
      - Fixed distances for few DSO (GH: #708)
      - Fixed Gregorian date issue for AstroCalc (GH: #711)
      - Fixed support GPS on macOS (GH: #712)
      - Fixed coefficient for the duration of mean tropical year
      - Fixed issue for images in description for landscapes: set search directory (GH: #735)
      - Fixed tooltip behaviour for Date and Time dialog
      - Fixed star name to its source spelling (GH: #729)
      - Fixed compiling with GPSD 3.19 [API 8.0] (GH: #733)
      - Fixed encoding script files in Script Console (GH: #742)
      - Fixed drawing names of asterisms
      - Fixed aFOV display in Oculars plugin
      - Fixed visual issue in Script Console (white background) with Qt 5.13
      - Fixed links for scripting docs (SUG)
      - Fixed screen flashing during solar eclipse (GH: #747)
      - Fixed core.resetOutput(); method behaviour (GH: #750)
      - Fixed AltGr behaviour for some languages on Windows
      - Fixed clipping issue for LabelMgr.labelObject (GH: #776)
      - Fixed weekday computation
      - Fixed rendering planets orbits (GH: #773)
      - Fixed error in shape of asterism Red-Necked Emu (GH: #769)
      - Fixed proper removing of default secondary shortcut (GH: #764)
      - Fixed cross-id error in DSO catalog
      - Updated appdata.xml file
      - Updated outdated code for names of days and months
      - Updated Observability plugin
      - Updated list of proper names of stars (IAU approved list)
      - Updated Moon age calculation: let's use geocentric coordinates only for compute of the Moon age
      - Updated AstroCalc/PC tool: simplification and colorification for graphs
      - Updated AstroCalc/Phenomena tool: small speed-up
      - Updated the default color space: StelToneReproducer now use sRGB as target RGB color space (GH: #718)
      - Updated GUI for Satellites plugin
      - Updated common names for DSO
      - Updated common names for stars
      - Updated packaging for macOS: Let's use macdeployqt for creating a MacOS bundles
      - Updated nomenclature support: Let's use compressed nomenclature data to reduce an installation package
      - Updated translations
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated Sardinian skyculture
      - Updated file handling in Script Console
      - Updated HDPI features: enabled scaling fonts on High DPI monitors (GH: #546)
      - Updated default shortcuts: changed default shortcut for copying selected object information (Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+Shift+C) to allow use Ctrl+C shortcut for text edit fields for whole planetarium (GH: #748)
      - Updated getInfoMap method [scripting engine]: enhanced the getInfoMap method for the Sun (get eclipse data; GH: #747)
      - Updated Chinese (Simplified) and Russian translations for Windows installer (GH: #755, #779)
      - Updated Bookmarks tool
      - Updated default exoplanets and pulsars catalogs
      - Updated behaviour on Windows: disable HiDPI scaling in manifest (GH: #763)
      - Updated Oculars plugin: improve RA/Dec output for CCD frame
      - Code refactoring: type checking/casting clarifications
      - Removed FOV plugin (the feature was moved into core of planetarium)
      Homepage + links to downloading binary packages: https://stellarium.org
    • By jambouk
      We are running a session at my local society on transits and occultations. One station will focus on exoplanet transits, and we'd like to build a very simple model to demonstrate this. We have a star (light source) and an orbiting "planet" but I need to work out how to detect the changes in light intensity and display this on a laptop, like a classical transit photometry trace below (taken from https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/tess/primary-science.html).
      Is there a way to take a feed from a DSLR through the USB output to do this, else I could get an adapter for my ZWO and put an EOS lens on the front of that. I really do want a light intensity vs time trace in real time on the laptop. This model will be run in a darkened room.
      Thanks for any comments.
      James

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.