Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Auto-Focusers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What great joy! :lol:

Got one of these the other day and tried it last night. Got to agree with everyone in that it's well worth the dosh (£42 delivered), makes pin sharp focusing a doddle. Instead of focussing a woobling image, letting go and hoping for the best, the squeeze of a button will 'snap into' perfect focus the image you have. Brilliant upgrade! And dead easy to insatall.

It would be nice if you could "set" the autofocuser to each of your eyepieces, and then hit a pre-programed button. A bit like goto for your eyepieces!

Now there's a patent you should file!! :lol:

Darron

Just got mine the other day and I can only add my agreement with the above. Fits straight on the 200 Newt Skywatcher, no messing about at all.

WRT the goto, I read on t'internet about some guy in USA who had fitted a multi turn pot on the other side to the electric focusser as a feedback. He fed the ends of the pot with (I think 10V) power and read off the wiper with a cheap digital multimeter. It would be a start and could be goto-ed quite easily I would have thought. Bit of electronics for the motor control, the hardest bit would be the input of the "where to" bit.

BTW This guy had a notebook IIRC where he had written down the values for his bits of kit to allow him to look them up and dial in the correct setting every time. Might even have a bash mice elf.

Captain Chaos

Are you using the standard Europa focuser or did you opt for the upgrade?

Steve

yes, it's the standard focuser OO fit - exactly the same as the Skywatcher - is it the Synta? there is some backlash, but with carefull predicted thumb pressure onto the focuser buttons that can be acommadated. i'm sure with the like of a Crayford it would be perfect.

I was also using the Explorer 200 last night to compare views with the Europa, and the image shift was alot more on the Explorer (manual) during backlash... not sure why

WRT the goto, I read on t'internet about some guy in USA who had fitted a multi turn pot on the other side to the electric focusser as a feedback.

? Surely that should be on the drives, and not the focusing Captain? :?

Could provide a cheap, if not slightly combersome alternative to the setting circles. Could be worth a try :lol:

naz

WRT the goto, I read on t'internet about some guy in USA who had fitted a multi turn pot on the other side to the electric focusser as a feedback.

? Surely that should be on the drives, and not the focusing Captain? :?

Could provide a cheap, if not slightly combersome alternative to the setting circles. Could be worth a try :lol:

naz

No, the feedback was so that he could move the focus to a preset position which he had previously found to be good for whatever kit he had on the 'scope.

ATM I can't find the page, he was some Australian Professor with his own observatory IIRC. Plans on the site and allsorts, but I can't find it now (and I should be going to work).

Captain Chaos

Archived