Narrowband

Auto-Focusers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw - there's nothing auto about them, they are a manual electric focuser upgrade. Not sure what Optical Vision are on :?

But they make such a difference to using the Explorer 200.

Russ

Steve, it makes the standard R&P focuser a whole lot more useable.....visual and imaging. It can be hard to find the sweet spot with the R&P due to its lumpy action, backlash and image shift. The image shift remains but the electric motor overcomes the other two. I personally found it a huge help.

Russ

Hi Damien, personally I think the standard Skywatcher R&P focuser is pretty dire, which is why it helps for both. Where as the Meade focuser is already very smooth and backlash free. Like you, I only ever used the eleccy focus on the C8 for imaging.

The Skywatcher eleccy focus goes along way to improving the standard focuser. It does reduce the imageshift but not eliminate it. But I found it a big asset. Plus you can release the locking screw and use the focuser in full manual mode if desired.

Russ

does anyone know if the 'skywatcher type' manaul focuser is virtually the same as the ones fitted to many other scopes and therefore there's a good chance this leccy focuser will work with them too?

my Europa focuser looks very similar...

I think Orion Optics now use the same focuser on the Europa, so you should be fine. If you are worried, have a word with either Orion Optics or SCS Astro. SCS Astro sell both the Eleccy focus and the Europa, so they are probably the best bet. Orion Optics are a funny lot to deal with, especially if you ask a question about something they don't sell.

Regards

Russ

the f8 is long, light and thin too - so as soon as you touch the focuser the whole thing starts shaking

that reminds me of my days with Orion Optics Newt. Awesome optics though, fantastic views.

Before you order please check. Just had a look on the Orion Optics website and they seemed to have changed things again. Now the Europa comes with a 1.25" focuser or an upgrade to Crayford. It definitely won't fit the Crayford without modifications. And i'm not sure about the 31.7mm focuser either. Perhaps give SCS a call in the morning, their number is 01823 665510.

If you call Orion Optics they will only want to sell the Crayford (not a bad thing).

Regards

Russ

Daz,

Here's a pic of the crayford and elecy focus.

image.jpg

Basically all I did was remove the silver knob of the focuser and bought a part from Maplin ( a brass tube with two thumbscrews - one at each end) to join the two different size shaftes together.

Once that was on the only thing I meeded to do was secure the motor housing to stop it spinning round instead of the focuser. Made up a little bracket with some stuff I had lying around. Doesn't look pretty but it does work...

Ant

Archived