Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RedCat 51 first image - Oh No!

Managed to get to a dark site with the RedCat for the first time since getting it back from FLO / Es Reid.

Single frame stretched in PS, 2 minutes, 60Da ISO800, SWSA.

Stars look pretty good, slight coma in corners on the original full size CR2 image but nothing to worry about.

Dave

57935037_RCPleidaes.thumb.png.14a9d08cd04f88b42915f56f9ba920ec.png

• Like 1

That's looking good Dave. Very similar to mine after Es' gave it his attention. :smile:

I bought an ASI071MC, APS-C sensor to use with the RedCat and Star Adventurer (there isn't a mono version) to hopefully avoid the DSLR colour mottling effects and have only done a few test frames so far. At 2 mins I have to throw away half the frames due to sausage stars. I'll have to try for a better alignment. I fitted a Zwo Mini-guide scope to it so can use the PHD2 drift align method which hopefully will help.

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, seems that I am facing a similar situation. Received the Redcat after a long wait only to find out that I must be very unlucky and

is a bad one too. I tried with two different cameras (600d and 350d), there is a lot of coma at the left , I am not an expert, but it mustn't

be a tilt problem. When I rotate the camera (0, 90,180) the problem rotates also. I contacted flo and I am waiting for a response. I

hope that we will work it out cause I really like this little scope.

Μ45_0_CANON600D.jpg

Μ45_0_inspector.jpg

M45_0_CANON350D.jpg

M45_0_CANON350D_inspector.jpg

M45_180__CANON600D.jpg

M45_180_inspector.jpg

Hi Gkarantzalos,

Yes, that looks like typical Redcat coma on the left. Some early examples though were a lot worse than yours. I don't know how good the current versions of the Redcat are in comparison, but I'm sure FLO will help you out. 🙂

Alan

On 16/10/2020 at 16:27, symmetal said:

Hi Gkarantzalos,

Yes, that looks like typical Redcat coma on the left. Some early examples though were a lot worse than yours. I don't know how good the current versions of the Redcat are in comparison, but I'm sure FLO will help you out. 🙂

Alan

Hi Alan,

mine has a 2020 late September date of inspection. I contacted with flo, they are always very helpful, and I am sending it back, hoping that the coma can be improved if not fully eliminated. Probably because of the very high demand for redcats the quality control department of WO isn't working 100% accurately. 

George.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 18:01, Gkarantzalos said:

Hi Alan,

mine has a 2020 late September date of inspection. I contacted with flo, they are always very helpful, and I am sending it back, hoping that the coma can be improved if not fully eliminated. Probably because of the very high demand for redcats the quality control department of WO isn't working 100% accurately. 

George.

This is my worry across the board at the moment for all astro equipment there is a great temptation to cut corners to increase production when demand is high. 

Adam