Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bit of solar finally - 24th March 2019

Stu

It feels like ages since I've both observed the sun and actually seen anything interesting on it! I'm at my parent's today and have had a good chance to sit and enjoy the warmth whilst viewing. The seeing is very variable, mostly quite poor but with the occasional steady patch. The AR on the limb has a fair amount to see; thin dark umbra embedded in a lovely area of  plage. Further onto the disk nearby is an area of faculae which has nice structure too it, particularly when the seeing steadies. The same is true of the granulation, mostly fairly soft, but occasionally there are beautiful swirling patterns which appear. Nice to be out!

20190324_123200.jpg

20190324_123217.jpg

20190324_130529.jpg

44 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Thats a sweet rig you have there, i have never looked through a hershel wedge, i'm curious.

Thanks, it took me some time to arrive at this but it works very well now. Binoviewing in white light at high power when the seeing is good or excellent can be quite jaw dropping.

Possibly the most expensive white light setup in history?? ??

Haven’t dared get the solar gear out today. SWMBO has decided that spring is here. So the garden needs transforming from winter graveyard to last year’s blooms to Chelsea flower show entrant over the course of a single weekend.

Enjoy the sun.

Paul

Nice setup!

Got to observe the AR in Ha this morning, interesting to see its ragged profile on the limb after rotating around from yesterday. There was a bright shark tooth of a prom sticking out that I could swear was changing as I watched!

That setup looks so right, Stu. Glad you got some good viewing.

I’m on the far west (Kintyre) for a week hoping for decent clear (they are dark) nights. Cloudy and blowing a hooly just now. No solar capability with me so your pics put me in mind of heaving even more kit the next time I’m away.

Mrs Floater will be so pleased. Can I tell her the credit is all yours? ??

Archived