Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Stu

COMPLETED - SOLD Orion Optics OMC140 Mak

This is a lovely scope in excellent condition which I'm reluctantly offering for sale. It has the aluminium screw on dew shield and underwent a full service and collimation with Es Reid last year. He fixed a few issues with it including an over tightly held corrector and now it is performing beautifully.

The OMC140 is a Gregory Maksutov, f14 with a 2000mm focal length and, of course, 140mm aperture. The primary is collimateable although this holds very well so doesn't need touching often. Focusing is via a microfocuser which moves the primary. Accurate focusing is easy and there is virtually no image shift, unlike most SCTs. The scope has two synta style finder shoes.

Although often considered only a lunar or planetary scope, the 140 also gives great views of the smaller DSOs and has excellent contrast.

I'm asking £300 but am open to reasonable offers. Bank transfer or PayPal fees paid. I am happy to post at cost.

Pictures to follow soon.

Stu

• Like 1

Super scope. If I had the money I would have taken this. I had the OMC140 purple tube around 15 years ago, super piece of kit. Good luck with the sale!. Rob

• Thanks 1

Heck of a scope stu, would love to take this off your hands, alas not the right time for me..

Decided to go wash and polish the wife's as a distraction, hopefully it's sold when I come back in...

GLWS  Stu..

• Thanks 1

Good morning Stu,

How old is the scope please, and is it only the primary mirror which requires occasional collimation? I would be interested to see the photos when you put them on. 

Mark

Hi Mark,

I genuinely don't know how old the scope is, I could do some research to try to find out by digging back in my records.

The secondary is fixed so it is just the primary that would ever need doing. It seems pretty stable though so is not something that would need doing often.

I'll post some pics up later, was hoping to do it this morning but ran out of time.

Stu

Here are a few of it in action next to the TS72mm

20181117_150342.jpg

20181117_150409.jpg

20181117_202912.jpg

20181117_202927.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. Is it a basic vixen dovetail and would the scope be usable on an AZ mount or is the 2000mm fl to large to track properly manually (thinking about planets mainly)? I'm looking for the balance of portability/function and usefulness and would rather avoid a heavy EQ mount for a travel scope if possible. I'm assuming the optics are nice and clear and that the scope functions as it should, thanks in advance.

Mark

How has this not sold yet.... myst ignor/resist.... wonder if the neighbours want their car washing!!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, markastro said:

Thanks. Is it a basic vixen dovetail and would the scope be usable on an AZ mount or is the 2000mm fl to large to track properly manually (thinking about planets mainly)? I'm looking for the balance of portability/function and usefulness and would rather avoid a heavy EQ mount for a travel scope if possible. I'm assuming the optics are nice and clear and that the scope functions as it should, thanks in advance.

I've used mine on an AZ5 with no problems at all and although I haven't tried it under the stars yet, it seems to be handled fine by my new AZ-GTI so a small alt az mount works well with it.  I think the tube is only around 3.5kg.

48 minutes ago, markastro said:

Mark

Yes, Vixen dovetail attached directly to the OTA ie not via tube rings.

I have used it on manual giro style mounts with no problem, you just need a well aligned finder and tracking at high power is no more difficult than any scope at the same power. An AZGTi also handles it well with an upgraded tripod. You use longer focal length eyepieces to reach the same power so generally eye relief is better with orthos and plossls.

Optics are in excellent condition. I have owned this scope twice, bought it back off DRT :). As mentioned, I had it serviced by Es Reid and he sorted out a couple of issues. The primary was loose making collination tricky, and the corrector was packed to tight causing astigmatism. Both of these were resolved fully along with collimation so I'm as sure as I can be that it is operating as well as any OMC140 out there.

It is small enough for carry on baggage if you really want to travel!

Hope that helps.

Stu

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I've been looking into the SW 127 MAK which is a 1500mm and wasn't sure if 2000mm was a step too far for general purpose astronomy and tracking. Does it have its own finder scope btw?

Mark

Pm sent.

I’m in Northumberland at the moment, driving back home in the next few hours, hopefully it’s still available.

Sean.

This is now SOLD :)