Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I got my images printed in a Book

carastro

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, carastro said:

I recently came across a scrap book of my father's who died over 40 years ago.  He was an artist and designer, and it was so nice to find something of his work,  

This got me thinking about preserving my images for the future.  Lets face it, how long are they going to stay in cyberspace if various websites shut down, and how would members of my family know where to find them anyway, even now.  Also it is a lot of work to let it just disappear over time. 

I normally do the Astro Society annual calendar, so I got thinking that I should think about doing something printed for myself.  The trouble is the regular printer we use for the calendars, all the images tend to come back a bit darker which is always disappointing.

Anyway, I got hunting on the internet, and found a company in Peterborough BookPrintingUK, and got a quote from them for a hardback book of 80 inside pages.  For £175 (approx), I have got a hardback book (10 copies + proof copy) with printed gloss cover, 80 pages silk good quality paper inside and the customer service has been excellent.  This includes a hard copy proof.  This was doing all the artwork myself. 

To my surprise when the 1st proof arrived the images came back the correct colour.  Which was a surprise as I had brightened up some of the images in anticipation of them coming back darker as they do with the calendar printers, so they of course were now too bright.

So I adjusted the images back to normal, and ordered a 2nd proof (an extra £25).

I did not bother to get an ISBN number for it as I am not publishing it.  Just copies for family and friends. 

I am so pleased with the result of the 2nd proof, just awaiting the final order to be printed.  

If any-one was thinking to do the same, I thoroughly recommend this company.

Attached are a couple of photos.

Do let me know if you decide to do this, as I can let the company know I have recommended them.  

Carole 

PS: Forgot to mention, that the printers will keep the artwork on file for 2 years in case I need further copies, in case any more friends say they would like a copy.  Also they fixed the price for further copies for the next year.  

Book cover.jpg

inside pages.jpg

Every single image I have had printed ever has come back too dark. They end up looking like images with a clipped black point and the faintest nebulosity is totally lost. Struggling with how to get it right. Perhaps my monitor is too bright. 

Every single image I have had printed ever has come back too dark. They end up looking like images with a clipped black point and the faintest nebulosity is totally lost. Struggling with how to get it right. Perhaps my monitor is too bright. 

That's a bummer.  Have you calibrated your screen?  Tried another computer?   I have two laptops and one of them makes images brighter than the other, it was a little better after I calibrated it, but still a bit brighter.

Carole 

Fantastic Carole. I would love to do this someday. I too have found I needed to increase the brightness prior to printing, but in your case it did not need it after all!

A friend has just bought a 4 foot wide printer, it takes 15 cartridges at £1500 a set! I’m hoping to someday print out a large image  

A friend has just bought a 4 foot wide printer, it takes 15 cartridges at £1500 a set! I’m hoping to someday print out a large image  

Wow!!

Thanks for your comments every-one.

Carole 

Thanks James and Wookie.

obviously as it only covers 2008 to 2018, there's the opportunity for further volumes :D

Funny you should say that, am already starting to collect material for Book 2.   

Carole

Archived