Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ or Alt Az Mount?

I am looking at various refractor telescopes (I already have a great Dobsonian!) and was wondering which mount would be best to start with. I'm not interested in computer control but not sure which type mount would be best to consider. 

Greg

Which scope you going to put on the mount

I started out with a 10" Dob, and later got a SW ED80 on a EQ5 mount

Obvious choice would be either a HEQ5, or 6, depending on weight of the scope intending to mount on it

You can now also get a WiFi  adaptor for the EQ mounts, as a SynScan Controller

Down load the SynScan App

Pic of ED80 and EQ5 mount

In background, is another ED80 on a HEQ5 mount

Pic taken solar viewing field day with my club

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Greg,

Hope the skies down that way have been clear for you and everything else too...

Like D said if not AP then a good alt az mount might be best, this is my GSO Sky view Deluxe sold by Agena Astro I think you have seen it before. Holds my heavy long old 90mm Meade very well, I use my 6" f5 newt on the mount too and its just a solid performer with either both scopes are in the 10-12 pound range and the GSO has a 20 pound capacity and is slow motion equiped. The mount weight is 13.75 pounds.

Only drawback is the accessory tray has to be sourced elsewhere but the standard vixen tray is not a hard part to find, if you have trouble pm me and I'll help you locate one.

I am also hearing good reports about the SW AZ4, although the mount head on the AZ4 is not a universal head so scopes can not be mounted either righthanded or left meaning if the intended telescope is dovetailed left and your AZ4 is right you would be moving the location of the dovetail bar not easy and drilling holes in a new scope may not be what you want even though I know you've done it before...

Best of Luck and Clear Skies ?

Freddie...

20181213_040351-01.jpeg

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 3

Hi Greg,

If you're looking for a simple grab and go set-up, an altazimuth mount is probably the way to go. Providing you mount it on a solid tripod or pier it will be steady enough for most purposes even when using high powers, although this is where altazimuth mounts can become a little more difficult to use. Even with manual slow motion controls you'll have to continually adjust both the altitude and azimuth axis, so if you're trying to sketch what you're observing at high power, you can feel like you need three hands.

A simple equatorial such as the SW EQ5 is a better option if lunar and planetary observing is your thing, as the mount will track the Moon or planet easily by adjusting just the RA control, with only occasional adjustments of the Dec control. Also, the EQ5 mount can be motorized enabling the mount to track your target, allowing you to observe in comfort. They too are light weight and portable, though the do require a counterweight, so not as light as a AZ4 or giro Altaz.

Below are a SW Equinox ED80 and a 100mm apo both mounted on AZ4's making them very portable and easy to use. And the 100mm apo mounted on a portable motor driven equatorial. Also very portable!

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg

2019-02-23 20.10.11.png

2019-03-22 08.08.01.png

• Like 2

If you are a general observer, zipping about finding lots of objects then I'd say a good AZ mount (AZ4, maybe AZ5, SkyTee or Giro type) would be best. BUT if you just enjoy solar system objects or spending a lot of time on objects and maybe sketching, a driven EQ mount is ideal. Subject to the size of the scope, I'd recommend a basic driven (non goto) EQ5 or similar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is my Bresser Exos2 eq5 mount, this mount assembled with a 9 pound counterweight weight to balance a ten pound telescope weighs 4x what the GSO does I posted earlier, has to be assembled on site unless your a young chap and don't mind lugging more than 40 pounds around awkwardly without the ota attatched it also has to be leveled and aligned. The advantage is its capacity is 10 pounds more than that of the GSO alt az and instead of etch a scketch style slow motion tracking one can simply roll along care free with one finger.

This is a big advantage for long period observations of most any celestial target.

Some eq mounts include setting circles which make object location easier provided the mount is properly aligned and leveled.

The disadvantages are the setup time, weight and the constant unlocking and locking of clutches if you are not doing long period observations, this unlocking and locking can be eliminated by installing a goto system or purchasing one with the mount but then more weight is added and a power source such as a heavy battery will be needed if the scope is set up far from AC current. 

Freddie...

20181212_042706.jpg

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1

I looked at 127mm Mak on an EQ3 type mount (IIRC) and was astounded by how heavy it made such a light (8 pounds) scope.  It made picking it up to move it around the yard to avoid obstructions (trees, houses, etc.) a non-starter.  I ended up going with a DSV-1 alt-az mount for my AT72ED and then a DSV-2B so I could mount a 127mm Mak on the other side and have axis locks.  Even with two scopes, it's not much heavier than the EQ3 with 127mm Mak alone.  Those counterweights are deal breakers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Greg,

If you're looking for a simple grab and go set-up, an altazimuth mount is probably the way to go. Providing you mount it on a solid tripod or pier it will be steady enough for most purposes even when using high powers, although this is where altazimuth mounts can become a little more difficult to use. Even with manual slow motion controls you'll have to continually adjust both the altitude and azimuth axis, so if you're trying to sketch what you're observing at high power, you can feel like you need three hands.

A simple equatorial such as the SW EQ5 is a better option if lunar and planetary observing is your thing, as the mount will track the Moon or planet easily by adjusting just the RA control, with only occasional adjustments of the Dec control. Also, the EQ5 mount can be motorized enabling the mount to track your target, allowing you to observe in comfort. They too are light weight and portable, though the do require a counterweight, so not as light as a AZ4 or giro Altaz.

Below are a SW Equinox ED80 and a 100mm apo both mounted on AZ4's making them very portable and easy to use. And the 100mm apo mounted on a portable motor driven equatorial. Also very portable!

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg

2019-02-23 20.10.11.png

2019-03-22 08.08.01.png

Thanks Mike! I like the Skywatcher mount located here: https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-accessories/mounts/telescope-mounts/alt-azimuth-mounts/sky-watcher-az5-mount-with-steel-tripod-s20110

The price is right and the scopes I am looking at are in the 11 lb range. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

Thanks Mike! I like the Skywatcher mount located here: https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-accessories/mounts/telescope-mounts/alt-azimuth-mounts/sky-watcher-az5-mount-with-steel-tripod-s20110

Intending to put an 11 pound scope on a mount rated for 11 pounds is maxing out the mounts carrying capacity and I would not recommend this. A telescope 1/2 the weight capacity of the mount typically winds up being solid and stable, stretching that to two thirds the capacity of the mount would be as far as I would go with it but my experience would have me questioning my judgement doing so.

Last thing you want is a shaky setup. 

Also pay close attention to mount head and scope mount orientation as well finder scope orientation when purchasing mounts and scopes separately as modifications may be required as well certain combinations may be unworkable.

Freddie...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIDO said:

Intending to put an 11 pound scope on a mount rated for 11 pounds is maxing out the mounts carrying capacity and I would not recommend this. A telescope 1/2 the weight capacity of the mount typically winds up being solid and stable, stretching that to two thirds the capacity of the mount would be as far as I would go with it but my experience would have me questioning my judgement doing so.

Last thing you want is a shaky setup. 

Also pay close attention to mount head and scope mount orientation as well finder scope orientation when purchasing mounts and scopes separately as modifications may be required as well certain combinations may be unworkable.

Freddie...

Also, the length of the moment arm matters greatly.  While an 11 pound SCT or Mak might be fine on the AZ5, the SW120ED's 11 pounds might be too much for it due to the scope's much longer tube.  Settling times would probably increase dramatically over the stubbier tubes' times.

• Like 3

A 900mm focal length scope (of whatever aperture) will be too much for the AZ5 to hold stablily at anything more than medium magnifications. Even an AZ4 is struggling with such a scope and that is a somewhat more robust mount than the AZ5.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2019 at 01:37, Greg6498 said:

I am looking at various refractor telescopes (I already have a great Dobsonian!) and was wondering which mount would be best to start with. I'm not interested in computer control but not sure which type mount would be best to consider. 

7 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

The replies on here have covered the various choices in detail, backed up by solid user experience.

When my interest in Astronomy was rekindled after moving to an area with dark skies (bliss....), I was faced with the same dilemma of choice.

Luckily though, I'm an equipment "Anorak" too, getting almost as much pleasure from tinkering with the stuff as well as looking through it. (come on, I'm not the only one...  ?).

So rather than forcing myself to choose, I've gradually amassed a variety of scopes and mounts. Thankfully the "middle range" equipment is much more affordable nowadays, especially secondhand. I'd find it really difficult to downsize to one setup now.

Consequently I do have an HEQ5, and AZ4, and an AZ5.

The HEQ5 Synscan goto is amazing, even more so now that I can couple it to Skyview on my 10" tablet through the Synscan wifi adapter.  I can move around the sky, by just pointing, zoom in (on the app) check the details then slew the scope to it automatically.  The downside is the set up time.  Polar alignment, two star goto alignment, each time it's setup.

The AltAz AZ4 and AZ5 mounts each have an individual advantage. The AZ4 is very robust, with nice dampened movements, but no slowmo controls.  The AZ5 does have them, but is not quite as sturdy.

A somewhat disapointing factor of the three is that the tripod mounting is not interchangeable.  The EQ5 and the AZ4 are both M10, (but with different heights), and the AZ5 is 3/8" UNC.

I use mine on two different tripods ( a very sturdy CG5 2" steel, and a very light Vixen aluminium EQ5) and a home-made movable wheeled pier.  I have modified my mounts and tripods to give full interchangeability, but it did require some engineering.

• Like 2

Hi Greg, for my refractor I chose a Vixen Porta II mount and tripod, my telescope has a 900mm f/l and the mount carries it superbly, and very steady, bit expensive though but the only advantage over the AZ4 is that it has slow-mo controls, found at FLO here, along with a picture of mine: 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html

027b.jpg.844908dcda6922867757e65ce4b6803a.jpg

• Like 1

First, thank you all so much for your great advice! Now, this is what I purchased ?

Sky-Watcher Evostar ProED 80 mm f/7.5 ED APO OTA

For my mount I chose this Mead LX 70 German Equatorial Mount! ?

EF3F8053-2997-4EEB-9CF2-54765ACB3ACF.jpeg

5ECB1432-BD75-4C9E-A155-58634292ED62.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

First, thank you all so much for your great advice! Now, this is what I purchased ?

EF3F8053-2997-4EEB-9CF2-54765ACB3ACF.jpeg

Nice equipment, for the sake of ergonomics you can swap out slow motion cables for different lengths and knobs are also available, I keep a collection handy for utilizing different scopes on different mounts...once you set this up and observe with it you will know what adjustments are needed if any. Vibration pads for the tripod feet will also help for stability during high magnification use and will reduce settling times after focusing. 

Best of Luck Greg and Clear Skies of course ?

Freddie...

• Like 2

Ok Greg...Now that the equipment bits have been sorted it's time to get busy gearing up for your first light report, due to be filed here as soon as clear skies allow ?

The link will connect you to 3 videos...

How to Align an eq mount.

How to use an eq mount.

Observing the Sun Safely, now that you have a nice frac solar observing is a natural next step.

Enjoy ?

Freddie...

3 hours ago, SIDO said:

Ok Greg...Now that the equipment bits have been sorted it's time to get busy gearing up for your first light report, due to be filed here as soon as clear skies allow ?

The link will connect you to 3 videos...

How to Align an eq mount.

How to use an eq mount.

Observing the Sun Safely, now that you have a nice frac solar observing is a natural next step.

Enjoy ?

Freddie...

Ok Freddie will do! Wee had our first week of clear skies since last July 22nd so ill have the new scope out real quick! Full report to follow! ??

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

Yes, the most "futureproof" choice too.

As it's structurally the same as an EQ5, you have the option of later adding a Skywatcher EQ5 Synscan goto upgrade kit (at just under £300), to get full motorisation and goto, and linking it to a tablet or PC for control via Stellarium etc..

• 5 months later...