SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

how do you select a target with phd2

Fieldsy

No, Stellarium \ CDC will just give you coordinates, which are then passed to the mount via a control program, usually EQMod which then drives the mount to those co-ordinates.

PHD2, with appropriate camera & mount control access, via EQMod, just keeps (hopefully) the mount on target.

PHD2 will just allow you to guide using a star. You will need imaging software like Backyard EOS or APT to select targets to shoot. I use EQMod and Plate Solve to get onto target. Not used my hand controller but you will need to Polar align and then do star alignment with hand controller. Once done you should be able to use the hand controller to slew the mount to a target and take a shot with Backyard EOS or APT (Others available). You will need to focus also before doing all this. You can use the imaging software and Bahtinov mask or FWHM in the software.

Some great videos on YT and walk throughs searching on google.

Hope that helps a little.

So that's the bit I dont get u have to use the handset and then unplug it and put laptop in . That's just silly .

Cant u just enter the cords in to phd2  and it will slew over to it and then u can just track a star that's what I was hoping ,and with constant clouds I'm still struggling to find out.

No, If you turn to the full computer control, you put the handset in a draw and forget about it...

Simply put, everything is done with a computer & software, whether that be using Windows or Linux, the basic processes are just the same; a method of identifying a target, slewing to that target, then keeping OTA pointed at the target (PHD2), and depending on whether you wish to image or look at the target, you use eyepieces or cameras.

Fieldsy,

I think you're getting confused about PHD2 - which is only a program to assist in guiding - after you have centred the telescope on the target object. No more, no less.

You need another program to control the mount and direct the scope to the target.

I use CdC with the EQMod interface. This (after having PA the mount and putting it in the Park position) allows you to click on a target and then click to get the mount to GOTO the target....once you are ready then you interface with PHD2 for sustained guiding.

HTH

Do you have the eqdir cable or the older type that connects to your handset (just checking).

If you download APT (its free). You need to set up platesolving and when you connect to all your gear you use pointcraft. You choose the object you want to image and click go++ the mount will slew to that position take an single image and work out where it is and then move the mount again and re-image. This continues until it is on target.

PHD2 will just pick a star to guide from and keep your mount on target so this is started after the platesolve has completed.

This is just a rough explanation.

If you just want to be able to point and move to any location then using cdc or similar would be used..

IF you want to keep your handset (which I do), you don't actually need EQMOD (I don't). In CdC you just have to synchronise first, e.g. using a bright star, then you can slew to your object directly from CdC. Probably the same for Stellarium. 

12 hours ago, spillage said:

Do you have the eqdir cable or the older type that connects to your handset (just checking).

If you download APT (its free). You need to set up platesolving and when you connect to all your gear you use pointcraft. You choose the object you want to image and click go++ the mount will slew to that position take an single image and work out where it is and then move the mount again and re-image. This continues until it is on target.

PHD2 will just pick a star to guide from and keep your mount on target so this is started after the platesolve has completed.

This is just a rough explanation.

If you just want to be able to point and move to any location then using cdc or similar would be used..

This is the way to go, with that small sensor plate solving is going to be essential. 

Archived