Narrowband

Pier adapter for NEQ6 (Brake Disc)

souls33k3r

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the online car spares companies have drawings of the brake discs. This allows you to compare the size with the mount and pier.

Alternatively, if your local car spares outlet has a paper catalogue, they might let you thumb through it.

There is an incentive. One of my cars can use a £35, or £99 pair of discs!
It is certainly worth looking.

Another option is go to a general repair garage armed with your idea of suitable sizes.
They will no doubt have old discs going in the scrap metal skip - worth pennies to the garage.
Generally the braking surfaces are thinned a little, but they are quite serviceable for a pier top.
If you are not sure, grab a handful and give the garage an extra fiver.

David.

12 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Some of the online car spares companies have drawings of the brake discs. This allows you to compare the size with the mount and pier.

Alternatively, if your local car spares outlet has a paper catalogue, they might let you thumb through it.

There is an incentive. One of my cars can use a £35, or £99 pair of discs!
It is certainly worth looking.

Another option is go to a general repair garage armed with your idea of suitable sizes.
They will no doubt have old discs going in the scrap metal skip - worth pennies to the garage.
Generally the braking surfaces are thinned a little, but they are quite serviceable for a pier top.
If you are not sure, grab a handful and give the garage an extra fiver.

David.

Awesome advice mate. Will most certainly try and find something along those lines.

What i did wonder if anyone here has already used something and they might be able to tell me which car make/model to go for.

Don't know if the NEQ6 has the same dimensions but VW Golf disc's worked a treat for my AZEQ6. Most Brake disc's on ebay provide various dimensions which include the inner hole size.

Also buy some really decent drill bits and some lubricant.

Pilot holes first and I found too late that bolting the discs together using the existing mounting holes made sure your news  holes were aligned if you do dual brake disc version (gives more adjustment for levels). Helps if you have a Pillar drill but I did mine by hand powered drill.

1 minute ago, stash_old said:

Don't know if the NEQ6 has the same dimensions but VW Golf disc's worked a treat for my AZEQ6. Most Brake disc's on ebay provide various dimensions which include the inner hole size.

Also buy some really decent drill bits and some lubricant.

Pilot holes first and I found too late that bolting the discs together using the existing mounting holes made sure your news  holes were aligned if you do dual brake disc version (gives more adjustment for levels). Helps if you have a Pillar drill but I did mine by hand powered drill.

Wise words. 

I'm not sure about the dimensions really but i think i'll see if i can find some drawings of the pier adaptor from some where.

Oh and dont be a skint flint on the rod's or bolts (16mm min IMO) as there will be plenty of forces being applied in use - especially if you are putting the rods into a concrete pier. If you can afford it ,I couldn't they are very expensive ?, Stainless steel (365 spec ?) to slow rust - even if you paint them. I used welders stone chip paint. 

2 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Oh and dont be a skint flint on the rod's or bolts (16mm min IMO) as there will be plenty of forces being applied in use - especially if you are putting the rods into a concrete pier. If you can afford it ,I couldn't they are very expensive ?, Stainless steel (365 spec ?) to slow rust - even if you paint them. I used welders stone chip paint. 

Cheers mate. I'm trying not to go cheap skates on the outer material if i can help it :)

Hi Matey, their is a thread on here that i am following as i to have an NEQ6 PRO mount and like yourself with to adapt to a pier; chap in question has used a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v front disk brake, 240 mm wide with 60 mm centre hole , the project is on Astronomy Shed  UK forum                                                                               

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27105#p184961

You will get to a finish well before me mate, so, can you definitely PLEASE keep us/me up to date on how your adaption of the brake disk goes as, it will give me at least some very valuable information and advice, very good look and best to you.

Best regards and wishes,                   Tom.

1 hour ago, mckinnell said:

Hi Matey, their is a thread on here that i am following as i to have an NEQ6 PRO mount and like yourself with to adapt to a pier; chap in question has used a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v front disk brake, 240 mm wide with 60 mm centre hole , the project is on Astronomy Shed  UK forum                                                                               

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27105#p184961

You will get to a finish well before me mate, so, can you definitely PLEASE keep us/me up to date on how your adaption of the brake disk goes as, it will give me at least some very valuable information and advice, very good look and best to you.

Best regards and wishes,                   Tom.

Cheers mate, no worries at all.

I have looked at a few drawings and the centering diameter is listed as 65mm. I haven't measured it yet though but i'm more than happy to share any of my experiences with you. I might even start a new thread when i'm on my way so you can follow that.

Every one round to your local car scrap yard for brake disks, he he he he!!!, boy, are they going to make some good money, their you go, scrapped car parts re used, Astronomy, an eco friendly pastime lol .

Regards,    Tom.

PS.    Looking forwards to your thread as when you get started mate.

Just thinking about this vehicle disk brake topic, but, how would i or anyone else come to that get to undertake the process of finding out which one would actually fit the need for, as in this case and me own mount an NEQ6 PRO ???, i mean to say, it is not effective to go around who know how many shops etc and ask to see certain types of said brakes, also, not sure myself where to get the correct thread size and any other sizes required to facilitate the given brake disk, OK, i am dumb and im sorry for that, but, i feel it is something if like me, a person really does not know where or best place to start of, !!!!!!????????????.

Great chatting as usual regards and wishes,             Tom.

You just need to measure the diameter of the mount (neq6 is 64mm I think). You can then visit your local garage or scrap yard and ask if you can have a set of old ones. They are only worth scrap so a couple beers should cover it. Like I have mentioned allot of VAG disc brake have the correct internal dimensions so a the change to have a rummage in their scrap bin should produce a winner.

1 hour ago, spillage said:

I can say 100% that a mk1 1.8 golf gti brake disc will work. :)  I think it has a 65mm internal.

1 hour ago, adyj1 said:

The one I got for an EQ6 was "Genuine SKODA brake disc 1K0615601AC VW / AUDI / SEAT" from ebay. £15 including collection from Argos, and fitted perfectly. 

Correct, both of these should be a perfect fit as per the specification.

If it helps, i got hold of this design a few days ago which gives the dimensions of the centering diameter 

688002686_pieradapter.jpg.6cd0dd5d2e5650753deff053829865e3.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Ahmed I may have a spare Aluminium adapter plate that I bought ages ago, yours for £35 + Postage, you'll just need some bolts to go with it.

Nothing short of a LEGEND mate. Saved me all the troubles. Have pm'd you mate :)

1 hour ago, mckinnell said:

Just thinking about this vehicle disk brake topic, but, how would i or anyone else come to that get to undertake the process of finding out which one would actually fit the need for, as in this case and me own mount an NEQ6 PRO ???, i mean to say, it is not effective to go around who know how many shops etc and ask to see certain types of said brakes, also, not sure myself where to get the correct thread size and any other sizes required to facilitate the given brake disk, OK, i am dumb and im sorry for that, but, i feel it is something if like me, a person really does not know where or best place to start of, !!!!!!????????????.

Great chatting as usual regards and wishes,             Tom.

I trawled through brake disk websites until I found one that listed the dimensions (annoyingly I can't find it now!) to know which model to go for, then another search on ebay to find one at the right price (a pair, brand new were in the £50-£60 mark.)  Took a while, but all indoors ?

I've found plenty of VAG disks that don't have 65mm centres, so make sure you check (65mm was a perfect fit for my EQ6).

For those still looking, here's a current example of one that would fit; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Unipart-Pair-Brake-Disc-GBD1391-audi-seat-skoda-vw

£22 for 2, delivered.

On 21/03/2019 at 16:19, souls33k3r said:

Wise words. 

I'm not sure about the dimensions really but i think i'll see if i can find some drawings of the pier adaptor from some where.

Here's the drawing for the drop in EQ6 steel tube pier puck I made. You should get your dimensions to sit the EQ6 head from this.

33573877258_ff034e70ac_h.jpg

Archived