Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

wimvb

What's up with ZWO?

Yesterday I visited the ZWO website to check a spec for my camera, only to find it in the discontinued products section. Nothing wrong with that, because the model (ASI174MM-Cool) is getting old, in ZWO time scale. But I found that all of the smaller chip cooled models, including the "new" ASI385 are being discontinued. Only four models remain in their dso imaging range, of which only two have a mono option. Are they giving up on small chip dso cameras, or are they cleaning the shelves for new arrivals? Does anyone know more about this?

If any one knows it will be @FLO

• Thanks 1

This happened awhile back now. We don't have an 'official' reason but based on our sales suspect demand.

For a lot of people, if they were going to pay to get a cooled camera, they often chose to pay a bit more and get a larger sensor model such as the 183, 1600 or 294 - incredibly popular models.

Knowing ZWO they will be sure to have new sensor models out as they are always rapidly developing - next up is the new electronic auto focuser (EAF) due in the next month.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To be honest, the smaller sensors are more given to solar system imaging and DSO short exposure imaging anyway. In either case the length of sub exposure used is so short that thermal noise is still going to be low in comparison to read noise and hence why would you need cooling? There is always QHY.

Edited by Adam J

1 hour ago, FLO said:

This happened awhile back now. We don't have an 'official' reason but based on our sales suspect demand.

I suspected as much.

ZWO have spoiled us with a wide variety of sensor sizes and pixel sizes. But the small sensor cameras not only have a place in planetary imaging. They're also very capable galaxy cameras.

But it was a surprise to see the dso product range to shrink so much so fast. 

2 hours ago, FLO said:

For a lot of people, if they were going to pay to get a cooled camera, they often chose to pay a bit more and get a larger sensor model such as the 183, 1600 or 294 - incredibly popular models.

Knowing ZWO they will be sure to have new sensor models out as they are always rapidly developing - next up is the new electronic auto focuser (EAF) due in the next month.

That AutoFocus looks *very* interesting. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

4 hours ago, FLO said:

I am also really interested in this. Looking forward to more info and a preorder/price details .

Back to the cameras, I can certainly see why they dropped the ones they have. Here is hoping that another fantastic new series of cameras is on the horizon (some of the most popular ones are getting long in the tooth).

Spotted this on Facebook 

28B8CB52-18A5-46F4-8AC9-A837D7CE860B.thumb.jpeg.5b8a4d77569795c00f430ac2b93d0a0c.jpeg  

Apparantly it has Sonys new imx455 in it, 61.2MP, 16bit ADC, 3.76μm.

Full frame mono & colour CMOS.

121.4 MB per sub. How many subs are you going to need?

We're gonna need a bigger computer!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveS said:

You ALWAYS need a bigger computer (and bigger storage) ;)

• Haha 1

It seemed to me that a number of the camera manufacturers, but perhaps particularly ZWO, developed a very large number of cameras in quite a short timescale a few years back, considerably expanding their ranges and/or going through a number of design iterations around the same sensor, perhaps because they didn't really know what was going to work for people at a price they could afford.  My personal feeling was that it over-complicated the market quite a bit.  I suspect that some are now being dropped (or have already been dropped, and not only by ZWO) due to low sales volumes because people have started to gravitate to a handful of models depending on their needs.

Some vendors (certainly not ZWO that I am aware) have not only discontinued, but actually dropped support for models that are only a few years old.  That makes me quite wary of buying anything from them.

James

6 hours ago, Danjc said:

Spotted this on Facebook 

28B8CB52-18A5-46F4-8AC9-A837D7CE860B.thumb.jpeg.5b8a4d77569795c00f430ac2b93d0a0c.jpeg  

Apparantly it has Sonys new imx455 in it, 61.2MP, 16bit ADC, 3.76μm.

Full frame mono & colour CMOS.

This would pair fantastically with the FSQ 106... ?

10 hours ago, DaveS said:

I have found the 'live stacking' feature of sharpcap to help a lot with this problem :icon_biggrin:

Oooo that's an exciting development, fingers crossed it's a bit cheaper than their previous full frame cameras. I wonder if these high resolution cameras will eventually be the death of long focal length imaging scopes.

Posted (edited)

What date is it?

Seriously though, I don't think I'd want a 60+ Mpix camera. Stacking would take ages, and at what benefit? Apparently there are also 24 Mpix sensors in this size range.

According to CN, QHY have anounced a QHY600 with this megasensor.

Edited by wimvb

8 minutes ago, wimvb said:

What date is it?

The original Facebook post by Zwo was on Friday ??

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I have found the 'live stacking' feature of sharpcap to help a lot with this problem :icon_biggrin:

Um...live stacking of 120+MB, 60+MP subs? Still gonna need a bigger computer :grin:. Seriously, most obsy computers (I dare say) are relatively low powered, as all they have to do is control the mount and either save the data onto a local HD or squirt it down a LAN to a main computer which will do the heavy lifting.

I don't know sharpcap, I assumed it was a planetary stacking program, but can it do sigma stacking on the fly?

Just now, Danjc said:

The original Facebook post by Zwo was on Friday ??

I don't think even the DST change is going to squeeze that one into April :)

James

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DaveS said:

Actually, 122.4 MB/sub. But at this size, who's counting?

Edited by wimvb

TBH this race for ever more megapixels is driven by the photo enthusiasts who *must* have more megapixels or their lives will be ruined.

If I had the money I'd be very happy with a 16MP Kepler 4040.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

I don't know sharpcap, I assumed it was a planetary stacking program, but can it do sigma stacking on the fly?

Yes ... but mine are only 32mb subs.