Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bring back the good old Full Moon

Stu

2 hours ago, Gina said:

Thick cloud here last night!!  :clouds1:  That emoticon is too optimistic - it was total cloud cover!!

Actually, even that was quite impressive.

I was driving back from Wellington to Wiveliscombe at about 4pm.  The route I took (through Langford Budville) gives a lovely view north across to the Brendon Hills before dropping down into Wiveliscombe, only further improved if you mentally edit out the local electricity substation.  Yesterday the Brendons were covered with fingers of cloud creeping over the top and down the southern slopes with just the top of a radio mast visible above them.  It looked stunning.  Unfortunately that road is a little country lane with nowhere convenient to stop and take a photo otherwise I'd have done so.

To my surprise exactly the same thing happened this afternoon.

Of course the end result is that the cloud eventually reached far enough south to smother us in fog, but just this once or twice I'm prepared to forgive it.

James

• Like 1

Imagine what it looked like shortly after it coalesced, glowing orange hot! Then when the outer surface cooled, the volcanic activity - would molten rock have been thrown kilometres high? Finally, the size and brightness of the much nearer Moon. Not to mention the rotation before it became tidally locked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, astronomer2002 said:

Ah, nostalgia.

When I was growing up the harvest moon was an important one (we had farmer relatives) and occasionally we had a blue moon (two in a calendar month).

Ian B

That's where I know them from, traditional/farming references mainly -  nothing to do with modern media they just report them and get overly excited. 

Jim 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, saac said:

That's where I know them from, traditional/farming references mainly -  nothing to do with modern media they just report them and get overly excited. 

Jim 

Harvest moon and Blue moon I actually don't have a problem with as they are terms which have seen widespread use in this country for a long time as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 20:33, Stargazer33 said:

Imagine what it looked like shortly after it coalesced, glowing orange hot! Then when the outer surface cooled, the volcanic activity - would molten rock have been thrown kilometres high? Finally, the size and brightness of the much nearer Moon. Not to mention the rotation before it became tidally locked.

I would call that a "scary moon" :( 

Jim 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stu said:

This was a fairly tongue in cheek thread about names for the full moon. Let's keep it that way please.

Stu

Rats!

Have I missed some entertainingly inappropriate content again?

How about other names for the moon - Luna, Selene...