Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier, hiding in plain sight

souls33k3r

19 minutes ago, BigMisterP said:

shower tent? 30 quid, on a lawn, in garden with trees, and green - to blue, fairy unobtrusive.

Put that over the 365 cover.

Plus a couple fo LogiCircle cameras, already present to cover the garden, but, synchronicity, also looking over the pier, and another under the covers

image.png.99f05892b66420f14b1e7a6b2dae9a0f.png

Not a bad shout that. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, had never thought of it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Not a bad shout that. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, had never thought of it. 

Completely fine on fixed piers. Been there a few years now with no issues

one piece of advice - if you sometimes take tripod and kit with you, do NOT let "helpful" family members attach this to tripod legs with mount and OTA attached. 

Edited by BigMisterP
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BigMisterP said:

Completely fine on fixed piers. Been there a few years now with no issues

one piece of advice - if you sometimes take tripod and kit with you, do NOT let "helpful" family members attach this to tripod legs with mount and OTA attached. 

Noted lol

19 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

I have been using those "Toilet Tents" for the last 3 years, I'm on my 2nd now which is falling to pieces, as long as they are pegged down then they are perfect to protect you laptop from dew, but they are only shower proof, not waterproof.

• 2 months later...
On 08/03/2020 at 17:18, Gina said:

Having seen how several hundredweight of observatory roof can take to the skies, it doesn't surprise me!!

I always say...."Never underestimate the power of moving air" !!! 

I had the roof taken off my observatory during a "Texas thunder boomer" back in the 80s.  The wind moved the whole structure and ripped the roof anchor bolts right out.   What was left of the roof landed about 300 feet away.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 21:36, souls33k3r said:

Hi All,

I'm getting super serious about putting a pier in the garden, yes just the pier and no shed structure around it.

I have two concerns;

1) My back garden is exposed to the back street so i can not leave my kit out under the covers all the time but i can potentially leave the mount head if clear nights are in succession. How do you (if you have an exposed garden like mine) cover your mount so it doesn't look obvious as to what is underneath it

2) Got to keep the wife happy. So rather than a metal tube sticking out in the middle of the garden which will take up the kids playing area, what can be done to make it part of the garden and looks not out of place (maybe this might tie in with the concern above).

Examples by a way of pictures would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance.

CGEM-DX pier mounted, with oTa setup for imaging

Telegizmos 365, bungee around the pier, and a green shower text bungee around that.

Photos will follow once I've removed location data

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 11:30, souls33k3r said:

This is a very neat idea, thank you for that.

I have been trying to find a washing line cover as Dave suggested but can't seem to find one wide enough to encompass the mount head.

... And have it printed "This is totally a heater! No scope mount at all!" ;)