Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

souls33k3r

Pier, hiding in plain sight

Recommended Posts

On 01/04/2019 at 11:39, Jkulin said:

... lets agree to disagree 

Okay. No problem :)

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@souls33k3r

What about sticking in the Tall Garden Umbrella and use it as a camouflage once mount is covered properly? :)
it will probably have some Mount corners sticking out a bit, but probably will do the job you need :)

Edited by RolandKol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RolandKol said:

@souls33k3r

What about sticking in the Tall Garden Umbrella and use it as a camouflage once mount is covered properly? :)
it will probably have some Mount corners sticking out a bit, but probably will do the job you need :)

Not a bad shout mate but i've had a really bad experience with one of these bad boys just last summer. I was out having a nice lunch with the family, a gust of wind came and blew it across 2 houses :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Not a bad shout mate but i've had a really bad experience with one of these bad boys just last summer. I was out having a nice lunch with the family, a gust of wind came and blew it across 2 houses :D

The main word was a "Camouflage" :)
You can reinforce it just like the pier! :) And use a hail-proof Kevlar if needed! :)

Plus, the "Flight" yours had, probably was while it was wide open :)

Edited by RolandKol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 16:47, Carbon Brush said:

On the theft side. The villains generally want something they can grab quickly and take.
If something is bolted down, it takes time to remove and they will look for something else.

As a general rule layers of protection, rather than a single big obvious item work best.
This occupies the villains for longer and they don't like it.

I won't post details of security measures I have on my 'shed'. Only general comments.

Leave a couple of heavy bikes with flat tyres chained to a nearby fence. That would occupy them for a few minutes.

Have you considered some of these awful motion triggered far too bright security lights?
Disabled when you use the mount.

Hope something here is useful.

Not a bad shout. I was actually thinking about this the other day. I mean security lights. I think i do need one any way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

The main word was a "Camouflage" :)
You can reinforce it just like the pier! :) And use a hail-proof Kevlar if needed! :)

Plus, the "Flight" yours had, probably was while it was wide open :)

Very true, it was wide open. But boy could this thing fly or what :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2019 at 00:15, Jkulin said:

I know what you are saying Steve but Telegizmo have no excuse for not taping their seams, every single outdoor product clothing or camping company worth their salt should tape them, I've heard so many claims over the years about threads expanding etc. and special waxes and sealants, you can't seal perfectly something that doesn't weld or chemical seal as an overlay of the seam.

When a needle enters material this thick it gets hot, very hot, I have had a needle go right through the nail, and bone and come out the other side and there was no blood, lot of pain and swearing and jumping around on one foot but no blood.

When heat it applied to plastic materials it shrinks away and makes a bigger hole thus relying on the thread that is smaller than the hole to expand and seal, in my professional past experience it doesn't, it needs to be taped.

If there was a magical thread that could chemically bond then why don't all the outdoor clothing manufacturers do that, I suggest that you go into any reputable outdoor clothing company and see if you can find any waterproof garments that aren't taped.

I have over £10K's of equipment sitting out on my pier and I certainly am not going to take another risk with just the telegizmo, thus the reason why I use two covers.

This i no reflection on any company that sells Telegizmo, it is just a matter of fact, seams need to be welded or taped.

I too am having this same issue with a TG 365 cover, and after inspection inside the cover I too can see light through the stitching, in a few places, and am not happy, I have it over my 2k mount fitted tight at the bottom around the pier, with a dew heater and humidity sensor under, and as soon as it raining the humidity rises big time, and after taking the cover off it’s wet inside, so I tested with a hose pointing up and the water falling onto the cover, and yes it pours through the holes where the stitching is, but only in three small places....

on dry days it’s fine and humidity stays below 45%

Am currently in contact with both TG and the supplier... which by the way was not FLO.. 

but If someone can explain to me how a stitched seam with needle holes through the layers of material when they leave holes, is ok and is not supposed to leak, I would love to hear it, I had no idea that these covers were stitched and not taped until it was too late....

Also why is there only holes showing on small sections of the stitching and not all the way round.... All very confusing...

 

Edited by WanderingEye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

I too am having this same issue with a TG 365 cover, and after inspection inside the cover I too can see light through the stitching, in a few places, and am not happy, I have it over my 2k mount fitted tight at the bottom around the pier, with a dew heater and humidity sensor under, and as soon as it raining the humidity rises big time, and after taking the cover off it’s wet inside, so I tested with a hose pointing up and the water falling onto the cover, and yes it pours through the holes where the stitching is, but only in three small places....

on dry days it’s fine and humidity stays below 45%

Am currently in contact with both TG and the supplier... which by the way was not FLO.. 

but If someone can explain to me how a stitched seam with needle holes through the layers of material when they leave holes, is ok and is not supposed to leak, I would love to hear it, I had no idea that these covers were stitched and not taped until it was too late....

Also why is there only holes showing on small sections of the stitching and not all the way round.... All very confusing...

 

OK now this is very interesting. I was led to believe that you would be able to see the light coming through the stitches if you put your head inside of the cover and look at the sun for example but was assured that these holes are covered with (not going to quote because I might have heard wrong or it was something completely different substance) wax or something so it should never leak. 

I just bought mine as well but haven't tested it tbh. 

Please keep us posted @WanderingEye and let us know what it was in the end and the fix if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

OK now this is very interesting. I was led to believe that you would be able to see the light coming through the stitches if you put your head inside of the cover and look at the sun for example but was assured that these holes are covered with (not going to quote because I might have heard wrong or it was something completely different substance) wax or something so it should never leak. 

I just bought mine as well but haven't tested it tbh. 

Please keep us posted @WanderingEye and let us know what it was in the end and the fix if possible. 

I put my head inside the cover and looked out of the window, and it was a dull day, there are three sections about 1” long around the top of the cover, and the light shines through, these holes are stitch holes and are not micro holes as indicated by TG, water pours through them....yes they are small but that’s all it needs, and I certainly don’t trust it... at the end of the day how have they managed to stitch 98% of the cover with no light coming in whatsoever and then 3” where the light shines through, it should be totally sealed from light when looked through from the inside....no light, no water ingress.....simples.... 👍

Anyway I  am in contact with TG themselves so will report back...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2019 at 21:36, souls33k3r said:

Hi All,

I'm getting super serious about putting a pier in the garden, yes just the pier

Examples by a way of pictures would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I'd love to see this in your back garden, mind you with the strong storm - anything is possible!🤣

download.jpg

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago I used to own a small company making waterproof gear for the angling market, it didn't take us long to realise that the only true waterproof seam was a taped one, we regularly had companies contact us and say that they had a special thread that when it got wet would swell and seal the holes, similar to what 365 claim, at the time I was sceptical and no competitors went down that road either.

Without taped seams you will see the puncture marks of the needle and my 365 cover leaked like a sieve, I have 3 Telegizmo 365 covers and none of them will I use without a proper taped cover that is breathable over the top.

Needles get exceptionally hot when going through thick material, I had one got straight the tip of my finger and it was that hot it sealed the entry and exit wounds, it could be that Telegizmo are thinking along those lines, but I would be very dubious if they are as plastic can and does melt with the heat of the needles.

The material Telegizmo use if really superb and after all this time there is no sign of any wear.

Since that experience a couple of years ago, my mounts, camera's etc. have been outside and are as dry as a bone every time I take the covers, I just like to take extra precautions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Many years ago I used to own a small company making waterproof gear for the angling market, it didn't take us long to realise that the only true waterproof seam was a taped one, we regularly had companies contact us and say that they had a special thread that when it got wet would swell and seal the holes, similar to what 365 claim, at the time I was sceptical and no competitors went down that road either.

Without taped seams you will see the puncture marks of the needle and my 365 cover leaked like a sieve, I have 3 Telegizmo 365 covers and none of them will I use without a proper taped cover that is breathable over the top.

Needles get exceptionally hot when going through thick material, I had one got straight the tip of my finger and it was that hot it sealed the entry and exit wounds, it could be that Telegizmo are thinking along those lines, but I would be very dubious if they are as plastic can and does melt with the heat of the needles.

The material Telegizmo use if really superb and after all this time there is no sign of any wear.

Since that experience a couple of years ago, my mounts, camera's etc. have been outside and are as dry as a bone every time I take the covers, I just like to take extra precautions.

Thanks for that, well I have to say that the pin holes I can see in mine were before it had gotten a good soaking of water, that has now changes as from today....as it’s not stopped raining all day, ....but I have a cheap waterproof cover under the TG, to protect the mount and the dew heater that is in there...

I just don’t understand why I don’t see holes all the way round...and only in three small places...

I have some tent rubberised Seam sealant which is very good, but don’t want to do anything in case it has to be swapped....

so maybe when I check next the holes will have sealed themselves, I have spoken to TG and they have not mentioned anything about the holes sealing themselves...and just told me that they will sort it out, but no idea of what that means, but should hear from them again tomorrow..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an old discussion so it took me a while to find the info 🙂 

Back in Dec 2018 @Jkulin shared with us the following from an email he received from Bob at Telegizmos: 

"... the seams are sealed without tape. The first step is the inner solar liner is "pulled" into the seams during the sewing process. The second step is the type of thread we use...it's a UV treated nylon that chemically reacts to a sealing chemical that expands the thread to fill any voids left that the solar liner penetration misses. Actually very effective. But oddly, not opaque...as in light can be seen through it. The track record of the 365 Series over the 12+ years they have been produce backs up the success for this process. But...as with all manufactured products...a failure can occur. Your description sounds like the seam(s) has stretched and thus opened."

At FLO we began selling Telegizmos scope covers three years ago. It is the only brand of scope cover we stock. In that period only two have been returned by customers (less than 1% of those we sold) saying the cover had leaked. The first was jkulins (replaced) and the other (refunded) is here in the warehouse waiting for one of us to test it. 

A glued/taped seam is a legitimate (and more affordable) method of preventing leaks but was rejected by Telegizmos because the waterproofing lasts only as long as it takes for the glue to fail. Whereas, when properly designed and manufactured, waterproof stitching will last the lifetime of the product. 

HTH, 

Steve 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FLO said:

This is an old discussion so it took me a while to find the info 🙂 

Back in Dec 2018 @Jkulin shared with us the following from an email he received from Bob at Telegizmos: 

"... the seams are sealed without tape. The first step is the inner solar liner is "pulled" into the seams during the sewing process. The second step is the type of thread we use...it's a UV treated nylon that chemically reacts to a sealing chemical that expands the thread to fill any voids left that the solar liner penetration misses. Actually very effective. But oddly, not opaque...as in light can be seen through it. The track record of the 365 Series over the 12+ years they have been produce backs up the success for this process. But...as with all manufactured products...a failure can occur. Your description sounds like the seam(s) has stretched and thus opened."

At FLO we began selling Telegizmos scope covers three years ago. It is the only brand of scope cover we stock. In that period only two have been returned by customers (less than 1% of those we sold) saying the cover had leaked. The first was jkulins (replaced) and the other (refunded) is here in the warehouse waiting for one of us to test it. 

A glued/taped seam is a legitimate (and more affordable) method of preventing leaks but was rejected by Telegizmos because the waterproofing lasts only as long as it takes for the glue to fail. Whereas, when properly designed and manufactured, waterproof stitching will last the lifetime of the product. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Well this is the issue with mine... as you can see the stitching has “missed” the material, gone offline and just left holes...Hence water penetration... also light can be seen all round  the seam, but some places it’s very bright as if the holes are bigger...

But not purchased  from you, I might add.. 👍

 

 

A57DA012-9F9C-4957-975E-4983416FF92C.jpeg

Edited by WanderingEye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

... the stitching has “missed” the material, gone offline and just left holes...Hence water penetration... 

But not purchased  from you, I might add.. 👍

Yours clearly is faulty.

I am confident your supplier will want to send you a replacement. If they are unable to do that then contact Bob at Telegizmos 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FLO said:

Yours clearly is faulty.

I am confident your supplier will want to send you a replacement. If they are unable to do that then contact Bob at Telegizmos 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

Well, I can’t even get a reply back from retailer, so will contact TG direct again.... 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Well, I can’t even get a reply back from retailer, so will contact TG direct again.... 👍

Mondays are extra busy for most retailers so if you emailed them during the weekend they might need a little longer to find and reply to your email. 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FLO said:

Mondays are extra busy for most retailers so if you emailed them during the weekend they might need a little longer to find and reply to your email. 

Steve 

Am in touch with Bob now,  and he says it is faulty and seems to be on the ball with getting it sorted.. 👍😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Am in touch with Bob now,  and he says it is faulty and seems to be on the ball with getting it sorted.. 👍😀

He's a good man 🙂 

Steve 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've go to love FLO. Not their sale so not their problem but they are stepping up with advice and help😀

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How could you not love FLO for their service. Makes you want to buy from them over and over again. I've been married to FLO for a very long time and instances like this makes me want to buy from them again ... and i have and will be for sure :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy from FLO if they have what I want.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2019 at 21:36, souls33k3r said:

Hi All,

I'm getting super serious about putting a pier in the garden, yes just the pier and no shed structure around it.

I have two concerns;

1) My back garden is exposed to the back street so i can not leave my kit out under the covers all the time but i can potentially leave the mount head if clear nights are in succession. How do you (if you have an exposed garden like mine) cover your mount so it doesn't look obvious as to what is underneath it

2) Got to keep the wife happy. So rather than a metal tube sticking out in the middle of the garden which will take up the kids playing area, what can be done to make it part of the garden and looks not out of place (maybe this might tie in with the concern above).

Examples by a way of pictures would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance.

shower tent? 30 quid, on a lawn, in garden with trees, and green - to blue, fairy unobtrusive.

Put that over the 365 cover.

Plus a couple fo LogiCircle cameras, already present to cover the garden, but, synchronicity, also looking over the pier, and another under the covers

image.png.99f05892b66420f14b1e7a6b2dae9a0f.png

Edited by BigMisterP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.