Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

General setup of HEQ5/200PDS

Hi All,

I need some HELP big time. I think I’m a little out of my depth here. I am the proverbial “all the gear and no idea” guy. So, I have just brought a Skywatcher 200pds and HEQ5 mount. I am just getting to grips with setting it up, but I have a few questions that are bugging me.

1.       After balancing the scope, so it doesn’t move when its horizontal, if I push it around a little bit, it will move like its not balanced, is this normal?

2.       Once I have plugged the controller in and start to move the scope with the controller, do the R.A/DEC clutch levers need to be locked or left unlocked?

I think I know the answers, but I’d rather look the idiot and ask stupid questions, than break something.

Cheers in advance

55 minutes ago, cjroberts792 said:

Hi All,

I need some HELP big time. I think I’m a little out of my depth here. I am the proverbial “all the gear and no idea” guy. So, I have just brought a Skywatcher 200pds and HEQ5 mount. I am just getting to grips with setting it up, but I have a few questions that are bugging me.

1.       After balancing the scope, so it doesn’t move when its horizontal, if I push it around a little bit, it will move like its not balanced, is this normal?

2.       Once I have plugged the controller in and start to move the scope with the controller, do the R.A/DEC clutch levers need to be locked or left unlocked?

I think I know the answers, but I’d rather look the idiot and ask stupid questions, than break something.

Cheers in advance

:) hi Roberts,

And welcome aboard.

1) No, - setup up must be balanced in all directions and all the time. Once you placed counterweights correctly (balanced in RA), you need to balance DEC properly. It means turn mount in RA to 6 o'clock and check how your scope is balanced in DEC, move telescope in the rings for a proper balance. Also, do not forget, if you plan to use camera, - all "toys" and cables have to be ON during the balancing. Also, do not leave your camera attached at 3 or 9 o'clock (from telescope perspective), camera must be at around 6 or 12 o'clock for a proper balance. Better at 6 if you plan to piggyback somehing on the top in the future. Just be sure camera will not fall off

2) Clutches must be ON/Locked! :)

You need to turn the scope in the tube rings till the camera and finder or guide scope balance, as Roland has said. The camera needs to be inline with the counter weight bar or opposite side.

Its not critical as I image most of the time with a slightly out of balance rig due to exactly what your saying.

My guide scope is mounted on the finder bracket, and camera at 6 oclock position relative to mount ( in line with counter weight bar). This leaves it a little unbalanced but never caused a problem. I could turn the scope a little more to perfectly balance it but as I said, its a very small amount off balance.

Nige.

Wow,

thanks guys , I wasn't expecting so many replies so soon.  I shall take on board all advice and see where i get. I dare say you will probably get to know me well as I'll be asking more questions as time goes on... :) You'll all get tired of me :)

Archived