SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

simultaneous wifi control of mount and camera ?

I took the good advice on here (thanks), and bought the Synscan wifi adapter for my EQ5 goto and I'm very pleased with it.

It does indeed work really well with my Samsung galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet with far better control via the SynscanPro app than the very limited two line display of the standard hand controller.

The icing on the cake is that it also works (simultaneously) with my Sky Safari Plus app, showing where the scope is pointed and giving "graphical" point and shoot goto.

The only slight downside is that I still have to connect my Canon EOS by wire, because its wifi app can only run in "access point" mode, demanding exclusive use of the wifi connection.

Even though the Synscan wifi adapter can run in "station mode" instead,  I guess configuring it for that would complicate matters whenever I use the mount away from my home network, so I think I'll leave it in "access point" mode as well.

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I had similar issues and bought a cheap used phone (no sim card required) dedicated for use with my camera and a tablet for other stuff, of course you could use the phone for the mount etc.

Alan

Good parallel thinking there, (no pun intended).

An old smartphone could become a sort of dedicated "remote viewfinder"....

The second phone solved another issue in that I could never remember the settings on the camera when switching between phone/tablet and PC and ended up faffing around so the dedicated one is always ready and lives in my camera bag.

Alan

On 19/03/2019 at 17:43, Alien 13 said:

The second phone solved another issue in that I could never remember the settings on the camera when switching between phone/tablet and PC and ended up faffing around so the dedicated one is always ready and lives in my camera bag.

Alan

Yes, quite a good "recycling" use for an old smartphone too.

If the camera manufacturers sold a dedicated wireless remote control with a 5" live view screen it would cost a fortune !!

2 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

Yes, quite a good "recycling" use for an old smartphone too.

If the camera manufacturers sold a dedicated wireless remote control with a 5" live view screen it would cost a fortune !!

It was an old Samsung J5 so I rooted it to get rid of all the bloatware and even treated it to a new battery, so its a dedicated astro/camera app phone now and doesn't have a sim card either.

Alan

Archived