SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Manfrotto Element Big Traveller vs Zomei Z888C

Littleguy80

I’m looking at lightweight carbon fibre tripods that are at least 4 section for a travel setup. Scope will be a 72mm frac doublet on a light Altair Mount. They weight around 4.5Kg. Adding in diagonal, finder and eyepiece I’m estimating a max weight of 6.5Kg. 

As per title, I’m looking at the Manfrotto Big Elements Traveller (rated at 8Kg) or the  Zomei Z888C (rated at 16Kg). I’m not putting too much in the rated load of the Zomei. The Manfrotto 055 series are popular but cost over £100 more and are rated at 9Kg. Both the tripods listed have a ball head that I’ll remove and use the Altair mount. A short fold down length for airline travel is also a factor. The Zomei goes down to 45cm and 41cm for the Manfrotto

Had anyone got experience of these tripods? Would they be suitable? Any other suggestions in the region of £150? 

I have both a Zomei Z818 and lately a Manfrotto 190XPROB.

The Zomei is good and carries heavy DSLRs and lenses no problem.

But the Manfrotto is great. Noticeably more rigid.

The one thing I really don't like about the Zomei is the twist lock leg method, I've completely untwisted them on more than one occasion. (easily rebuilt but annoying) and casts a doubt when standing away from the camera rig.

I use both tripods all the time.

Rich

3 hours ago, RichM63 said:

I have both a Zomei Z818 and lately a Manfrotto 190XPROB.

The Zomei is good and carries heavy DSLRs and lenses no problem.

But the Manfrotto is great. Noticeably more rigid.

The one thing I really don't like about the Zomei is the twist lock leg method, I've completely untwisted them on more than one occasion. (easily rebuilt but annoying) and casts a doubt when standing away from the camera rig.

I use both tripods all the time.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I was little nervous that I was getting too close to the upper limit with the Manfrotto. It sounds like it should be much better quality though and should be fine. 

18 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Check out the classified adds on here. DannyK is selling his Manfrotto for about £140 IIRC.

I did see that but it doesn't fold down quite small enough being a 3 section otherwise it would have been perfect

Archived