Narrowband

Sequencing with a Sony A7RIII/II

Jkulin

I have been seeing more and more outstanding results with the Sony Cameras after they fixed the bug in the firmware for the star eater.

Is there any sequencing software that supports the Sony Camera's like there is for Backyard Nikon/Canon etc.

I'm not sure if Ivo @Yoddha has any plans top add these cameras into APT?

APT is brilliant for my Nikon D800 when I do widefield, but I'm loathe to switch if it can't work with an image sequencer.

2 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I'd really like to see something capable of sequencing a Sony A7R3 too. I'm not aware of anything at this time and have just been using the Sony remote software which allows timed/bulb exposures when tethered via usb3. 

That might be just what I need for widefield, so does it capture the image and display on screen?

Yes it gives you live view and you another app for viewing captured files. It's not the most intuitive app, especially how the bulb / interverlometer works but it does the job. I had mine tethered on a 20 meter usb3 cable. Add a battery grip with two Z batteries and it will run all night ... possibly two. Worth a go. https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/download/

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:18, Jkulin said:

I have been seeing more and more outstanding results with the Sony Cameras after they fixed the bug in the firmware for the star eater.

Hi John ...

I am interested in your comment that Sony have "fixed" their star eater problem.

I have a friend who complains that his Sony A7Sii is suffering from this problem and he also says that he can't find anything anywhere that says that Sony have fixed the problem .... is he wrong???

Mike

Hi Mike,

There was a petition for Sony to fix the issue and from what I read they listened after about 1500 odd signatures, not sure if you have to switch it on in the setup, but as I don't have a Sony yet, I can't advise.

NB. My mate Peter has the A7SII and he certainly doesn't lose any stars with the quality of his widefield shots.

Hi John,

We have plans to add Sonny support for many years. There were two main showstopper defined by Sony itself - star eater and lack of bulb exposure control... Every year we are checking once or twice if there is solution for the second problem. Our schedule is full for some months ahead but will not skip this check later in the year :)

Hi John,

Exactly, there is no much sense to implement support for camera that can't make exposure longer than 30s... I had talks with a manager in Sony, but didn't succeed to convince them in the importance about that. In 2017 managed to find a possible workaround, but star eater problem was still there... We are working on INDIGO integration in APT, so is possible to get kind of Sony support via Raspberry PI later this year. APT 3.70 will control CCD/CMOS and the related wheel, focuser and mount via INDIGO. Then have to take care for some highly wanted features, so maybe in the autumn will try to add DSLR support via INDIGO...  

Thanks Ivo for your reply,

Just a little confused are you saying that the Sony A7RII and A7RIII can't do exposures longer than 30 secs? As far I am aware the star eater problem has been resolved.?

Archived