Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White Light Solar Novice

I am awaiting delivery of my Lunt Herschel Wedge 1.25", but I am not sure which scope to use it in for visual.

Will it operate in my Vixen 102/1000 F10 achromat? Will this scope be suitable for solar visual?

Will I be better off using it in a 80/600mm ED scope?

Tony

In general use whatever scope that gives the best lunar views as its the same size as the Sun. Obviously not a newt or mak unless you are using a full aperture solar filter on the front rather than a wedge.

Alan

On 20/03/2019 at 10:33, Star Struck said:

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I will be over cautious when it comes to filters.

Tony

Don't be worried. The important filter is the ND, which most likely comes already installed in the wedge (do make sure).

After that, a Solar Continuum filter will offer finer details of granulation. You probably won't need a polarized filter. If you do.....a single polarized filter will do because the wedge is already polarized.

The Continuum filters can be expensive. I paid 80 euros for my Baader.

It's not essential, but worth it for what it does.

I moved onto Ha observing about 2 yrs after I bought a Hershel wedge. My Ha filter cost about 1.5k.

When I was doing WL, I was using a 70mm travelscope. When I started Ha.....I upgraded my solar scope to a Bresser 102 AR XS.

download.jpeg

4 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Don't be worried. The important filter is the ND, which most likely comes already installed in the wedge (do make sure).

After that, a Solar Continuum filter will offer finer details of granulation. You probably won't need a polarized filter. If you do.....a single polarized filter will do because the wedge is already polarized.

The Continuum filters can be expensive. I paid 80 euros for my Baader.

It's not essential, but worth it for what it does.

I moved onto Ha observing about 2 yrs after I bought a Hershel wedge. My Ha filter cost about 1.5k.

When I was doing WL, I was using a 70mm travelscope. When I started Ha.....I upgraded my solar scope to a Bresser 102 AR XS.

download.jpeg

I am getting the latest version of the Lunt wedge, which has the ND filter already fitted. Should be delivered tomorrow (Woo Hoo).

I plan to  use an OIII filter initially to help with granulation, but if that does not work well enough I will have to bite the bullet and get a Continuum filter.

I fear I may end up going down the same road as yourself in a few years time and get a Ha solution.

I have read that the views you get through a Ha scope (Lunt was the example used) may well be disappointing and look nowhere near as good as the photos you see in magazines or on the internet.

What is you experience of the quality of views?

Enjoy the white light for a bit! There is plenty of time for Ha later (it normally takes a while to save up ?).

But since you ask. The views through an Ha dedicated scope won’t disappoint. I still like to do solar with a WL scope and an Ha scope side by side!

39506FA4-9C30-4CE5-80E1-2682CFA700CC.thumb.jpeg.15c955a10a7522184d802658a6d0eac8.jpeg

Archived