Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Stu

Binoviewed Mewlon Moon 17th March 2019

In common with quite a few of us I think, I managed to get out with the scope to enjoy some of the clear spells which blew through last night. The seeing was a little wavy, but without that horrible effect that looks like you are observing under a stream of water. It got a little more jumpy when there was cloud coming through, but was very nice in the clear gaps.

The fine detail was there to be seen, and I decided to have a go at binoviewing with my Mewlon 210 for the first time. My normal setup is 25mm Zeiss Orthos with a GPC and then an AP barcon to get the required power. When I first tried this I think I was getting over x400, and actually the view was pretty impressive! I need to check which GPC I had in, but I think I was at around x200 for the rest of the time. The trusty GP-DX seems to take this scope quite easily, much better now I have upgraded the saddle to the ADM dual clamp. There is some vibration after focusing but it settles down quickly enough.

In terms of viewing, I largely just trawled up and down the terminator drinking in the views which were very relaxing with the binoviewers despite the high power. My floaters disappear although if I concentrate on them they do become visible.

Best view of the night that I can identify (!) was probably Gassendi and Mare Humorum. I really enjoyed following the rilles running around the perimeter as in the first three attachments which are snaps from SkySafari.

Within Gassendi itself there is also some lovely detail, in addition to the rilles, I was pleased to see the two lines cutting through the crater rim showed up in various lunar maps, next attachment has these circled for info along with the two most obvious rilles although more detail was visible. Finally, a couple of images I took handheld with the smartphone up against one channel of the binoviewer.

Good to have some decent seeing coinciding with an interesting lunar phase.

Screenshot_20190318-115430_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190318-115443_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190318-115454_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

20190318_134243.jpg

Screenshot_20190318-134056_Gallery.jpg

PSX_20190317_224715.jpg

PSX_20190317_224824.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Wow .. loving these Stu!. Glad your enjoying the setup also. Best Rob

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, it was the craters around Mare Humorum that kept drawing me back!

Nice pics. :)

• Like 1

Picked those two little notches up in my smartphone image, crop attached.

20190318_165940.jpg

• Like 1

Great report Stu, I enjoyed the same region yesterday. Gassendi was really nice.

• Like 1