Narrowband

Dealing with a heavy piece of kit!

When I unexpectedly became the possessor of a Celestron NexStar GPS 9.25", I realised I had a mobility problem as my last scope could be carried under one arm and fit easily in the boot of the car!.  I wont mention my age but moving and assembling and dis-assembling it  is a real physical struggle! So here is my solution for getting it out onto the decking from our sun lounge.

c1.JPG

C5.JPG

C4.JPG.7b1cb7a53c0f7f6d0a9b08302c5ab8b3.JPG

C3.JPG

c2.JPG

8 minutes ago, Pig said:

Nice simple idea ? and it does the trick. 

Next job is the train the Welsh Terrier in picture 1 to tow the kit out and in.  By the way I put it out this morning to take the photos and decided to leave it there the take a look at the moon this evening.  Within  a couple of hours the clouds swept in the the rain is falling!   

If it helps you use it it is a great idea. I have an even biiger and heavier one that I have just taken out of the observatory, now it's out I do wonder if I will ever use it again. I would like to de-fork it and use it but my worry is it will be too much for the mount. Could use another mount but these are not free with Cornflakes.

10 minutes ago, John said:

Scope Skates ! - great idea :icon_biggrin:

Do you find that you get any vibrations using the scope on the decking by the way ?

I've got some ant-vibration pads, but the decking is very substantial so as long as I move about gently I cope.  However excited children and company is another matter.

Very neat. I built a trolley for my Dob a couple of months ago. It revolutionised my observing.

Maybe add some breaks? I’d hate to think of that lovely scope disappearing down the steps.

Paul

47 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Very neat. I built a trolley for my Dob a couple of months ago. It revolutionised my observing.

Maybe add some breaks? I’d hate to think of that lovely scope disappearing down the steps.

Paul

Paul, I thought about brakes but decided not to bother.  It is easily managed and I remove the skates to observe.  Just carefully lift one leg at a time does the job.

Archived