SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Image / file storage

jadcx

Hi

Whilst I'm still very much still getting to grips with imaging, I'm already realising that I need a better file storage solution.  As a predominantly Mac user there is a distinct lack of image stacking options, so I'm happy to jump over to Windows via Boot Camp whenever necessary - but this leaves the problem of accessing my data.  Quite apart from this, I'm going to run out of hard drive space relatively quickly, so for multiple reasons, I need a solution.  The cheapest would be to buy an external drive and format it so that bot Mac and Windows are happy, which is easily achieved and I can have 3 or 4 Tb for under £100.  But as a long term storage option this bothers me as there's no backup.  Putting it all in iCloud is possible (for now at least, I'm not going to be pushing the 2Tb limit just yet) but I don't want to then by syncing my entire iCloud drive to Windows just to get to the astro images.

So I'm wondering what the rest of you do?

I have Linux (Unbuntu) and Windows laptops and one 500 gb and one Tb external drive. The processed images are stored on both laptops and on both external drives. The external drives both have copies of the Fits data and Avi files.

When imaging I use a 16 or 32 gb SD card for the initial data capture.

Mac user here too; I have recently had the same quest as my macbook was getting slow and its HD full. I upgraded to an iMac with 4 TB HD for local storage and image processing and I have assigned my raw image folder to auto upload a copy to Dropbox. Costs about 100$ per year but all external hard drives in the world won't help if you get a virus or even worse... the house burns down. 

I only save the raw files and the integration though. All steps in between get deleted after I finish processing.

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

If you've got an amazon prime account you get unlimited photo storage. not advertised much but its a really good option. quite a few perks to amazon prime that are kept quiet. 

Thanks. I didn't know that and been Prime for a number of years.

3 minutes ago, jadcx said:

Thanks people :) I don’t have Amazon Prime but maybe a local storage option and Dropbox or similar will be the answer.

The cost of Amazon Prime would be a better option than paying for the dropbox space. so many extras with amazon too. £90 a year for movies, unlimited photo storage, music, twitch prime, free delivery

37 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

The cost of Amazon Prime would be a better option than paying for the dropbox space. so many extras with amazon too. £90 a year for movies, unlimited photo storage, music, twitch prime, free delivery

That’s a fair point, and I think I get a discount for being a student.  But... Amazon though ?

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

yeah i know. but it's hard to have a moral standing when the offer is so good. They got the Grand Tour too and The Expanse

But I really try to maintain a moral stance. And Amazon essentially fail at every possible test.

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 12:32, jadcx said:

But I really try to maintain a moral stance. And Amazon essentially fail at every possible test.

Seems all big businesses are getting this way. Where I've been working for the past 8 years integrity is a word used a lot. But when it comes down to the final issue ($), it's just a word. 

Archived