Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Wiu-Wiu

Upgrade from 127mm apo?

My 127mm apo is my main imaging scope and I really like the ease an apo gives me in astrophotography.

I do not have a fixed setup though, so I always have mobility in mind. 

When I started imaging, I got an Esprit 80ed, and the quality of the optics has always been in the back of my mind.

I am looking for the next step forward, and the Esprit line has always been on my list.

I'm just not really sure which one would be the better choice though.

The 120 will be an optical step up, but will cost me 7mm in aperture, and I feel I'd only go forward in image Quality. 

The 150 is a giant leap, both in aperture as quality, but I'm afraid it will be too big to handle, especially when keeping portability in mind.

did anyone else have to make this comparison? What are your thoughts? I'd really love to hear from other people's experiences and input.

thanks!

I'm sure one of the Moderators of this forum owns the Esprit 150, I think it might be @steppenwolf ? If so, he might be able to give you some idea regarding the manageability of the scope. 

It is indeed me that has the Esprit 150 and what a fantastic ‘scope it is too for AP! I had a similar dilemma although as I have a fixed observatory, my dilemma was one of cost for just that extra 30mm of aperture!

The 120 is a fantastic instrument and I have no doubt at all that if I had gone for one I would have been very happy with it but this was also going to be my ‘forever’ telescope for a rather significant birthday so I decided to go the extra mile ?

As I am currently on my iPhone, I cam’t see if you list your mount in your signature but the 150 does require a substantial mount. Portable? I guess anything is portable if you can carry it but I suffer from arthritic wrists so needed some help from my wife when mounting it on my Mesu 200 to be absolutely sure that there were no accidents whereas I can happily mount my WO FLT98 which is very substantially built, myself.

The Esprit 150 with its matching field flattener produces the flattest field of any telescope I have ever used and I am delighted with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

150mm F4 imaging Newtonian? Portable and apochromatic!

39337282512_e31c1a2eac_b.jpg

Good point, well made ?

On 16/03/2019 at 23:13, steppenwolf said:

It is indeed me that has the Esprit 150 and what a fantastic ‘scope it is too for AP! I had a similar dilemma although as I have a fixed observatory, my dilemma was one of cost for just that extra 30mm of aperture!

The 120 is a fantastic instrument and I have no doubt at all that if I had gone for one I would have been very happy with it but this was also going to be my ‘forever’ telescope for a rather significant birthday so I decided to go the extra mile ?

As I am currently on my iPhone, I cam’t see if you list your mount in your signature but the 150 does require a substantial mount. Portable? I guess anything is portable if you can carry it but I suffer from arthritic wrists so needed some help from my wife when mounting it on my Mesu 200 to be absolutely sure that there were no accidents whereas I can happily mount my WO FLT98 which is very substantially built, myself.

The Esprit 150 with its matching field flattener produces the flattest field of any telescope I have ever used and I am delighted with it.

Thank you, this helped a lot :) 

I hope to have a couple of significant birthdays in the future, and a fixed observatory will be my present to my self on one of those ;)  - I think a large frac like the 150ED would be better in a fixed observatory, indeed. 

That leaves me with the Esprit 120ED - but the image scale would be the same as what I have now (only with better quality). 

I wasn't really looking into reflectors or sct's, but at the price of the 120ED, there might still be better options that are portable and give me a deeper field. (like an EdgeHD? Of a decent reflector as shown above?)

Any thoughts on this? 

13 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

I wasn't really looking into reflectors or sct's, but at the price of the 120ED, there might still be better options that are portable and give me a deeper field. (like an EdgeHD? Of a decent reflector as shown above?)

Any thoughts on this? 

My response about the F4 imaging Newtonian was a slightly 'tounge in cheek' response. They require very careful set up (collimation is critical) and may need some DIY modification to make them work properly. As such I would say they are not really suited for beginners but more the enthusiast who is prepared to fettle them to get the best results. Also bear in mind you would need to buy a good collimating tool and a quality coma corrector (which some would argue makes scope non-apochromatic!). The addition of the right coma corrector/reducer turns these F4 Newtonians into so called F2.9 'super Newts'. Again collimation is even more critical. All good fun- but not 'plug & play'!

17 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Any thoughts on this? 

If imaging is your goal, I would avoid an SCT or a fast Newtonian. The refractor is the imager's weapon of choice for the most trouble-free experience. If you enjoy fettling then a Newtonian and coma corrector can really perform well but SCTs can be problematical for collimation, mirror flop focus issues so I only really like them for solar system imaging or general observing but your mileage may differ!

The joy of a good quality triplet refractor is that once you have installed a field flattener or a reducer/flattener and sorted out the flattener to sensor spacing, they are almost a 'mount and forget' item!

• Like 1