Narrowband

Rosette core & The Carnival of Animals - a bit of fun!

Barry-Wilson

This image comprises recent Ha data from e-Eye from the TEC140/QSI690 Steve and I operate and SII, Ha and OIII data from my home observatory in Totnes acquired in 2018 using my WO 132FLT/QSI683 at 1.47"/px, here.

Steve and I have been imaging the Rosette core at 0.75"/px early evening as the moon has been rising before switching to other targets mid-evening. We will not be able to collect the SII and OIII this season so I processed the 28 x 1200s of Ha and re-aligned my older image to provide the 'colour' for the higher resolution Ha data: it is effectively like imaging bin 1 for the Ha and bin 2 for the SII and OIII.

After a crop to take care of the mis-aligmnent and some additional NR due to the resampling, a few enhancements, et voila!

The 'Carnival of Animals' reference is of course the resemblance of the dark dust to a troop of fantastical animals and Saint-Saens humorous musical suite. . . which animals, well your guess is as good as mine.

CS!  (minimal chance in the UK at the moment though . . . )

Ha data: Barry Wilson & Steve Milne.
Balance of NB data: Barry Wilson

(For those with an interest in the 'dark side', I am continuing to add topics to the tutorials on my SmugMug site: Calibration & Assembly, Basic LRGB workflow (in 5 parts), Boosting star colour, Starless NB technique, Deconvolution, Mure DeNoise, Introduction to enhancements . . . more to follow on masks, mosaics, NR, star reduction.)

Rosette_Heart_HaSHO_crop_registered.thumb.jpg.27a9c8c14f2749ddfb8d6e37f3aa4031.jpg

4 hours ago, Craney said:

Competition time !!

Sorry tp scrawl over your gorgeous image.   This is what I see..... maybe I had too much Stilton for lunch !!!!

animals_LI.jpg.030568d214541b37dcede4891a1d73f2.jpg

But what a fantastic image.  Look out HST.....

You missed the ostrich to the right of the cow's head.

James

Gorgeous, rich, and so much detail. Marvelous stuff as always Barry!

It was fun spotting all the animals! ? My fav has always been the 'Leeping Leopard'. Or is it a 'Crouching Cheetah'? ? 

Another exquisitely detailed image. At 0.75 arcsec/pixel, do you also get a frequent stable atmosphere at e-Eye, as well as the clear skies? 

Thanks for the heads up on the LRGB tutorials, something for me to study in earnest, while I wait for the clouds to move on.

Archived