Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Dusting Off My SW Skymax 127 MAK

HI all,

I am preparing to blow the dust off my SkyWatcher Skymax 127 AZ Goto after leaving it alone since 2011!!  I am going to photograph the moon again at least.  So my questions are......what developments have there been since 2011 with the Skymax 127 or MAks in general?  What can I do to my Mak to upgrade it?  For example is it worth selling the mount and getting the AZ GTI or whatever it is called but keeping the OTA?

• Like 1

There is plenty you could do, if money is burning a hole in your pocket.?  But I suggest you just use it as-is and find what if anything annoys you about the mount (or the eyepieces) and then decide what you want to change. The scope is a 'keeper' IMHO. There is a well-known engineer's motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Star-Gazer said:

I want to consider my options with regard to developing this scope.  I quite fancy using the app to control the mount.  But there may be other things I can do which are better?

I've just ordered the wifi adapter for mine, mainly so I can control from sky safari, but in all honesty I wouldn't do a thing until you've got some sessions back under your belt with the scope, all I want now is clear skies

• Thanks 1

Only thing I can think of that would 'upgrade' you, would be a polar wedge to turn it into an equatorial mount.

You'll need to upgrade your firmware for the controler. I know how to do that on a Wifi mount, but not sure how to go about it with a hand controler. 

Skywatcher Star Adventurer polar wedge

Edited by George Gearless
  • Like 1

I added a Mak to SCT thread converter ring to the back, screwed on a 2" SCT visual back; and I can now use my 2" diagonal and 2" eyepieces with it to vastly increase its maximum true field of view with little to no visible vignetting.  The only visible effect are oval halos that bright stars morph into as they pass the edge of the baffle tube.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

I added a Mak to SCT thread converter ring to the back, screwed on a 2" SCT visual back; and I can now use my 2" diagonal and 2" eyepieces with it to vastly increase its maximum true field of view with little to no visible vignetting.  The only visible effect are oval halos that bright stars morph into as they pass the edge of the baffle tube.

I have done the same with my 're-modded' Meade ETX105.

PIC010.JPG.0427f5c9c080cd309eec4c8a1deff884.JPGPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPGPIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG

It opens up a whole new world!

• Like 1