Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eye pieces for 80ED

Hi all I'm looking to purchase some eye pieces and a barlow for use with an 80ED and also possibly a MAK150.

I was considering a Baader 2.25 barlow and zoom hyperion and maybe some other Baader eyepieces.

I'm sure everyone has there own preference on brand based on experience and I would appreciate your input.

I am not sure what the focal ration of the ED 80 is but I tried some Baader Hyperions in a an F 5.3 scope some years ago and was far from impressed, they were fine in an F 10 scope but speed for me me left them wanting. I feel you would do better with some of the Ex Sc or Meade SWA 68 degree eyepieces, they perform better than Hyperions in faster scopes without being as good as TeleVue.

Alan

I think the ED80 is f7.5 and the Mak is F12 so both scopes should be  "gentle" on EPs.  I think the Mak 150 has a 2" visual back so for both scopes a wide 2" EP will be useful, maybe something like the SW /OVL Aero  35mm or 40mm/68 degree. Below that  I's have thought the Baader zoom 8-24 should work OK but whether to use a zoom or individual EPs is a personal choice, like wise with the barlow.

(PS I'd assumed, perhaps not wisely, that the "ED80" is a Skywatcher.)

You can't just go by brand unless you go really high tier. Most brands sell eyepieces across the full spectrum of quality. 

What are you aiming to observe with the new eyepiece(s) and what sort of budget do you have? 

Archived