Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium

steviebee

I have Stellarium on my PC and hopefully will be able to put it on my laptop ( graphics card problem) soon. I had it on my last phone but l have gone to instal it on my new phone and it says you have to pay for app. Only only a few pounds by was wondering if this is right as l thought Stellarium was free.

The app is not from the same people that the PC version is - I think the PC version developer sold the Android development rights to another company.  It's still a pretty decent app for £2.19 though.

The mobile version of Stellarium is a fork of the desktop version written by Guillaume Chéraeu, who is the brother to Stellarium project founder and coordinator Fabien Chéreau. The wikipedia entry for Stellarium says that there is a technology exchange between the two projects and there is a very brief mention of it on the Noctua Software page for Stellarium too.

How they are linked isn't really mentioned on either site, but I notice that both sites link to https://stellarium-web.org/ which looks like it was originally released two years ago as Noctua Sky.

The About box in the mobile version lists both the brothers as developers, and there is a comment on the forum to say that it is is a friendly fork.

Screenshot_20190316-121756_Stellarium Mobile.jpg

Archived