SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raspberry Pi

Skywatcher130

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-telescope/

Would this be possible in a Synscan handset? 

I have read a few threads about the DIY wi-fi adapters but not sure if I would get on well with using my tablet to control the scope - I like the physical feel of the handset buttons.  The wire however is a nuisance!

Thanks, 

Deb 

Hi Deb,

Well, a Pi can control any telescope using INDI. There are various ways to achieve that, either by buying a device that works out of the box (Stellarmate, ASIAIR > about 200€) or by doing everything yourself (you just buy the hardware, around 40-60€). That might require a bit of programming though, and the right cables for your scope.

However, I haven't seen any solution making use of the Synscan handset. The advantage of a Pi running an INDI server, is that it is compatible with barely any smartphone, tablet or computer. They're usually more convenient to use than a handset, and provide other advanced functions (autoguiding, focusing...).

Alternatively, you could also use the Celestron SkyPortal Wi-Fi adapter, which I think is the easiest way to control your scope with a tablet. You lose the physical feel of the handset, but you gain a planetarium app that controls the scope, which is very cool, especially when sharing your passion with others!

Keeping to your request to keep the skywatcher hand set and NOT use software or pc/tablets etc  but have wireless connection between the Handset and  the mount port - yes it is possible BUT :-

1. V3 handset only as you will need to power the handset from a 12v supply (it normally gets its power from the mount) - V4 doesn't come wiith a power connector I believe - someone will correct me.

2. Its messy and unless you are confident with wiring elecronics etc  i wouldn't recommend it as it would mean you would have to have 2 X TTL Bluetooth adapters or 2 X Wifi adapters of the correct voltage (else it might be bye bye either hand set/mount board or both) and create a wireless bridge between the handset and the mount.

?

Archived