Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

DavidJM

Cloudy Southwest

So it now seems an eternity since a decent period of good viewing weather here in Newquay, has anyone else had better luck? ?

Finally a week of clear skies, been able to use all three scopes; impressed with my new 127mm Mak and synscan makes for a quick finding easy session. Have found I'm using the Mak to locate then heading to the 200Dob and matching location, bit of a cheat really as want to improve my star hopping skills too

Picks of my south sky sessions has been Orion nebula, Christmas tree, M50, M48, hoping to get some good galaxy views around Markarians chain if the weather holds out

• Like 1

We've had several clear nights up here in Exeter, 1 night viewing was very good. Clouds are back again however. Did manage to catch, focus and track ISS for at least 10 seconds the other night, which was a first.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tomjo59
      Exceptionally clear here in south Wiltshire last night.
      Grabbed a met office map for midnight.
      I believe this situation, between two anticyclones and two low pressure areas is called a ‘col’.
      I don’t know if this is generally regarded as favourable for good observing conditions?
    • By Naraya
      I am very new to the world of binoculars and im gonna get started with Olympus 10x50 binoculars. My question is that will the Olympus binoculars handle weather in Switzerland (humidity above 80%), (high altitude), (cold temperatures)?  It would be really helpfull if i get the answer to that question.
    • By ecuador
      I liked the 7Timer astro-forecast enough to make an iOS client for it (called Xasteria), mainly because it has (for me) the most intuitive visualisation and also because it is global.  However, its problem has always been service reliability, as it would go down due to various technical or even bureaucratic reasons. I thought that was a shame, so I donated a US-based server and the scientist who developed 7Timer installed the service on it, hence we now should have a reliable astronomical forecast alternative (you are supposed to look at a couple of forecasts at least - weather prediction is not very accurate with current tech anyway!).
      There is an android app called astro-panel for the same service (I am not affiliated), but for iPhone/iPad you can use the aforementioned app Xasteria. A screenshot based on the display that you can find on the 7Timer website as the "ASTRO" forecast:

• Guest maryh96
      By Guest maryh96
      Hi, I am doing an end of degree project on variable stars due next thursday and London's weather does not allow finish it. I was wondering if someone would do me the favour of observing the pulsating variable star V0460 Andromeda http://variablestars.net/stars/460/ in the Johnson R filter, for a period of 1 hour and 50 minutes? please?
      Thanks so much!
    • By The-MathMog
      I recently got hands on my first equatorial mount, a Celestron Advanced VX mount.. And the curse holds true, that after purchasing new gear, you are to bear the burden of weeks of bad weather! So whenever there has been minor holes in the clouds, I've been out practicing star alignment, polar alignment, and just the general behavior of the mount, pointing at any star that would glance through the thin cloud cover. Hope to soon be able to practice drift alignment.

A patch of "clear sky" showed itself a few nights ago, so I thought I would try and see how far I could push the unguided exposures (having only done the ASPA). And even though thin clouds would regularly pass over the target, I am at least pleased that I could squeeze this out of the image. +- 1 minute exposures of the center of the noble M45, Pleiades. 5-6 shots later, the clouds came rolling in again... So here I am stuck looking at my mount collecting dust and browsing these forums again  

Looks like there is some coma that needs fixing too.

Scope is the Celestron 130 SLT OTA. Using a barlow right now to achieve focus. Trying to obtain the screws needed to move the mirror.

As a bonus, I noticed the presence of a magnitude 17.2 in this one, faintest I've caught yet I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.