Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

High power eyepieces

On 15/03/2019 at 22:12, iPeace said:

I'm sure you'd appreciate it, being used to orthos. The view is certainly the most 'pure' I've had. Not much extra in the FOV department, though. The eye relief 'feels' more generous than specified.

The dark, green-lettered, horses in this race are the 3 and 4mm DeLites. More FOV, luxurious in use, and views I can't tear myself away from, not even to try an HR. It's odd how this works for me and it may be different for you; just saying.

:happy11:

I'm with Mike on this. First, I share the experience of having my best ever view of Mars with a 3-6 Nagler zoom which I used as a travel eyepiece for a few years - but I am now settled with 3mm and 4mm Delites - as sharp and bright as any planetary eyepiece I've tried - light and comfortable too with decent fov and 20mm eye relief. To be honest, the differences between top EPs are often so small that it's more personal aspects like comfort which seem to make the difference. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Highburymark said:

I'm with Mike on this. First, I share the experience of having my best ever view of Mars with a 3-6 Nagler zoom which I used as a travel eyepiece for a few years - but I am now settled with 3mm and 4mm Delites - as sharp and bright as any planetary eyepiece I've tried - light and comfortable too with decent fov and 20mm eye relief. To be honest, the differences between top EPs are often so small that it's more personal aspects like comfort which seem to make the difference. 

I agree. Something like this...

delite1.jpg.2435d444d9061a722123e223f06c0d35.jpg

I just need some planets so they can come out to play!

Alan

15 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

I agree. Something like this...

delite1.jpg.2435d444d9061a722123e223f06c0d35.jpg

I just need some planets so they can come out to play!

Alan

Welcome back Alan :)

Nice set you've got there, I've not tried the Delites, but would really like to.

I use a Clave 4mm giving me x210 magnification. Not to everyone's taste due to the exit pupil but I really like it. Very sharp especially on axis and the contrast is wonderful. I have split some tight doubles with this eyepiece.

11 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've settled on my "Once and For All" eyepiece set??.

..The only problem is, I've done it 14 times..:help::hiding:

Dave

I’m learning that lesson the hard way, Dave. I went a good few months thinking I was done. I just got a TV Plossl and now I find myself thinking about others as per this thread. It may be time for an intervention ??

2 minutes ago, Ags said:

@iPeace I wonder if the Nagler 3-6 is "lucky" simply because it is a zoom... It's always the right focal length for the conditions.

Well, there's something to be said for that, no doubt. When you can dial in your magnification, you make your own luck.

And yet, it's uncanny how this eyepiece just happened to be on hand at the best of times - for me, at least.

:happy11:

Hi all,

I use a 3,5mm Delos, a 3mm DeLite and a 2,5 Nagler T6 for high power observations. 

578x, 675x and 810x with my 18" Dobson (driven by ServoCat)

154x, 180x and 216x with my 4" Refractor (AZ Mount Pro)

cs,

Uli

Archived