Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
mikeDnight

Unidentified Rilles in Werner. Now!

Posted (edited)

Looking at the Moon right now - 1810 UT March 15, there are a couple of rille's visible that have eluded visual and imaging observers. These features I first noticed just over two years ago and have no real difficulty in detecting them each time I observe Werner in the southern uplands, a little north and east of Tycho. The rilles extend, one from each of the two central mountain peaks towards the southern wall. They can be seen over several nights, but look now if you can.

Take a look and bag a real target of interest. I see these rille's with relative ease in my Tak FC100DC from 133X and up. ( Some images hint at these rilles in exactly the same position as my visual observations recorded them, so imaging them would be good, though may be challenging).

Wilkins visually detected one rille using the 33" Maudon refractor but they are obvious in much smaller, sharp scopes. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5

The wind up here would blow the cobwebs off your Tak Mike and the rilles would disappear.    ?

• Haha 1

All I can see here are meanacing looking clouds but I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it will clear a bit later. 

• Like 1