Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Carbon Brush

A Request - Closing Adverts

Moderator team, please move if this is thought to be in the wrong place.

I have noticed that a significant number of adverts are not marked by the seller for removal when the sale has been completed.

Could sellers please ensure the title is boldly marked 'completed' so the mods do not have to trawl all the way to then end of the thread to see if a sale has completed.

I'm sure the members involved either simply forget, or do not know how to edit a title.

To edit a title, hover over with the mouse and follow the instruction that appears.

Recently I asked about a camera that was showing on sale here. The same camera showed 'sold' on UKABS - the actual situation.
There is a solar scope that has been showing on sale here for some time, though discussions elsewhere on this site talk about how quickly it sold.

By allowing our completed posts to be tidied away into the 'completed' section we make it obvious to browsing members which items are still available.

Thanks for reading, David.

• Like 9

I tried to amend an item I sold recently in the Original title and the option was not available.  So all I could do was add an additional post to say it was sold.

I will try the "hover" method and see if that works.

I do find it frustrating myself when this happens, especially on UKABS.  

Carole 

PS:  Looks like the mods spotted it anyway and it's archived.  Thanks Mods. 

Edited by carastro

Even just posting in the thread that it is sold and can be closed should be enough for us to pick it up. Ideally edit the title, or just add SOLD at the top of the post.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

Even just posting in the thread that it is sold and can be closed should be enough for us to pick it up. Ideally edit the title, or just add SOLD at the top of the post.

It would be preferable to add a post at the end of thread to state that the item has been sold rather than amend the original post. This way the thread will get moved to the top and will be noticed. 
If you still have the permission to edit the title add SOLD, FOUND or WITHDRAWN as appropriate ie SOLD <original title>

• Like 1

Are you talking about my solar telescope? paid for last night, marked as sold this morning, and I've literally just got back from the post office.

I do generally mark as sold both in the title and the thread.

I've just had a PM from the Mods pointing me towards this thread, so I can only assume I'm the culprit. Sorry if I didn't immediately mark it in the title, if you look at my previous ads over many years you'll notice I mark my ads as SOLD, both in the thread to move it to the top, and the title. 

Edited by Lockie

II only discovered that you can edit the thread title by accident. To do this you have to click edit on the first post in the thread.

I suspect that the vast majority of forum users don't realise this as the only way to find out is by editing the first entry in a thread you started.

To Chris (Lockie).

No not your scope. A different Lunt scope!

The presence of a similar scop that was not actually available may have contributed to the slow sale of yours.
One of the reasons for me starting this thread.

Clear (sunny) skies, David.

• Like 1

FYI Mine was marked as sold yesterday. In the title. Following reading this post. 🙂

I also posted immediately within the thread as per Stu's post above, that it was sold following confirmation that it had sold within hours of it being listed. 

I fail to see how confusion could really be blamed for one solar scope selling quickly and another not so. The titles of both adverts where clearly different. 

Edited by Bobby1970

2 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

To Chris (Lockie).

No not your scope. A different Lunt scope!

The presence of a similar scop that was not actually available may have contributed to the slow sale of yours.
One of the reasons for me starting this thread.

Clear (sunny) skies, David.

Good to hear. I think the Mods thought it was me, easy misunderstanding 

A quick review of UKABS just now shows that out of the 1376 adverts, 236 are sold and 28 are withdrawn.