Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 years a member

Littleguy80

On this day two years ago I joined Stargazers Lounge. I'm on the verge of purchasing my third telescope. I've bought 16 eyepieces, 10 filters as well as numerous astronomy books and accessories. I blame you lot for ALL of this ?

Looking back on all that I've seen since joining, it's been quite a journey. I picked my first telescope with the ambition to see Saturn's rings. This year I've nebula, galaxies and even Quasars!!! I've learnt of the joys of dark skies. I've spent the last year using a 10" dob which has transformed my observing, especially from  local astronomical society's dark site. 

So what have I taken from SGL? Firstly it's given me a place to ask questions whilst I figured out how to find targets in the night sky and then try for tougher targets. It's given me a place to celebrate my successes big and small. Reading the observing reports of others has been a constant source of inspiration for future sessions. My desire to buy new kit has been both encouraged with expert advice on what to fill my eyepiece case with! 

SGL is a forum filled with passionate members who are generous with their knowledge and encouragement to new and experienced astronomers alike. I enjoy spending time on here and am pleased to have shared a love for this hobby with you all!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil, I agree whole heartedly with your observations about the great, knowledgeable and generous contributors here on SGL
I have followed with interest your journey from rookie to accomplished observer and look forward to reading your insightful posts.
You have obviously gained a lot from membership here but have done your bit to make the forum what it is.
Happy two year birthday ?

Congratulations Neil! It's been very interesting and enjoyable watching your astro journey. You've achieved alot in a relatively short time. Here's to the next 2 and beyond!

You couldn’t have said it better. A joy it is this little forum of ours, may it live long and prosper.

(i just had to include that being a huge Trekkie) congrats on your two years and, thank you for your help and input as I make my way.

Neil

Share your sediments

Started out also with a 10" dob, then SW ED80 on a EQ5 mount, and now have Coronado SolarMax 11 which also goes on my ED80

For over 10 years also been a committee member of my own club down under, and help new members extensively as well

It is such a rewarding hobby, and with my own club, we go into primary schools, scout/guide groups to do presentations

Recently was doing a presentation for grade 1 students, local primary school

After all the 5yo students had been through, then invited parents to view as well

That night we had Saturn, Jupiter, Scorpio, CRUX (Southern Cross)

As we were packing up, had a lady walk up to me

She said she is 83 years of age, and the first time in her life time, has ever seen the rings of Saturn through a telescope

That we have given her 5 yo great daughter that opportunity, words of thank you, is not enough

I had no response

John

?? Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You......

I echo your sentiments exactly Neil - the friendly way in which members here assist and encourage one another by sharing their knowledge and experience really adds an extra dimension to the hobby!

Doug.

Archived