SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 2170 LHaRGB

Barry-Wilson

A very pretty image I cannot recall seeing on this forum before - but please correct me if I'm wrong ?.

A mysterious target that Steve and I have just managed to capture sufficient data before the moon made its presence felt and it sunk too low on the horizon at e-Eye Spain. Much data was gathered at low altitude so I am very pleased at the result. There is quite a difference in the end result with the added Ha making comparisons with my LumHaRGB to many of the LRGB web reference images not accurate. I did wonder for a period whether I had added a red 'blob' to the reflection nebula! But it is there in the Ha data thank goodness.

From APOD: "In this beautiful celestial still life composed with a cosmic brush, dusty nebula NGC 2170 shines at the upper left. Reflecting the light of nearby hot stars, NGC 2170 is joined by other bluish reflection nebulae, a compact red emission region, and streamers of obscuring dust against a backdrop of stars. Like the common household items still life painters often choose for their subjects, the clouds of gas, dust, and hot stars pictured here are also commonly found in this setting - a massive, star-forming molecular cloud in the constellation of the Unicorn (Monoceros). The giant molecular cloud, Mon R2, is impressively close, estimated to be only 2,400 light-years or so away. At that distance, this canvas would be about 15 light-years across."

More data would have been better but we can always say that, can't we?

Details:

• TEC140
  • GM2000HPS II UP
  • QSI690wsg-8
  • Astrodon filters
  • Lum 24 x 600s; Ha 36 x 1200s; RGB 18 x 600s each channel; 25 hours
  • Privately-owned and jointly operated remote rig at e-Eye, Spain

NGC2170_LumHaRGB.thumb.jpg.843db9e57298ceab5026bac5b34176d9.jpg

3 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

A very pretty image I cannot recall seeing on this forum before - but please correct me if I'm wrong ?

Be even worse if you couldn’t remember commenting on one before ?

Lovely rendition Barry, I love this target. 

Interested to note you added Ha to it.  I only did LRGB as per the other posts on Astrobin of this target.  If I ever get another opportunity I might give that a try.  

Carole “carastro” posted her capture of it just a couple of months back.

That's right, but I only managed 9 1/2 hours on my dual rig over two separate camps in November and December, plus it's jolly low in the UK.  

Carole 

8 hours ago, carastro said:

Lovely rendition Barry, I love this target. 

Interested to note you added Ha to it.  I only did LRGB as per the other posts on Astrobin of this target.  If I ever get another opportunity I might give that a try.  

That's right, but I only managed 9 1/2 hours on my dual rig over two separate camps in November and December, plus it's jolly low in the UK.  

Carole 

And I remember now - I am sure I also commented onthe image as it was a good image especially from the UK . . . age is catching up I'm afraid Carole . . . apologies ?.

2 hours ago, carastro said:

So back on a more serious note (lol), did you add the ha to the red channel?

Carole 

Yes, added to the red channel.  I generally use a couple of different methods and then choose which one gives the best result.  Adding Ha does change the image markedly, with the emission nebula becoming strongly red and the blue reflection nebula gaining a central red/pink and circular blob.  The faint dusty surrounding area becomes that odd mottled red in the background sky, which can happen when there is a dim Ha presence.  It is worth it but the LumHaRGB image has a slightly different feel to it than the LRGB.

Archived