SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wide field M42, running man and HH nebula

My Christmas present was a Canon 300mm f4 lens to use as my travel scope instead of a bulky refractor, but to go with DLSR and AZ/GTI portable mount. So I took it to La Palma to get some winter sun and dark skies. Playing with Stellarium told me that with a 78degree tilt I should be able to get both M42 and the HH Neb in one frame, no mosaic. It's true you can! So despite losing half my subs to a faulty cable I got 60 x 30 sec exposures, which at f4 in really dark skies got me a reasonabe result.

Taken on March 12th in sunny  la palma : Canon 2000d unmodified, 300mm f4 lens, on AZ-gti mount. Controlled by ATP software (great canon autofocus control, wifi connect to mount, plate solving for positioning) processed with DSS, Startools and Lightroom. 60 x 30 sec subs +20 each of darks, lights, bias

M42HHLRv1.jpg

Archived