SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which is best apex or pent roof style ?

mckinnell

When as i am planning to do, convert a shed into an observatory, which is the most effective type of shed roof to adopt as to alter for the scope actually ? ; i would like to have half of the roof to stay in place and the other half to be removable thus, giving a section for things such as, laptops, books, charts and the like, i would point out at this stage that, i do not have enough room to facilitate a roll of where rails are used, the size of shed i would like to use will be around 10 x 8, my scope is an NEQ6 pro goto mount with the 300PDS Sky Watcher, i hope you can give me a lot of idea's and advice, the more the better and many thanks to all.

My very best regards and thanks,                  Tom.

Tom,

Good luck with the project and I hope to embark on the same type of project this year.

I guess both can be utilised for the purpose. Try searching for "DIY Observatory" in Google and then click on images there are loads that may give you some ideas, okay many of them will have the traditional Dome that I guess you will not want to incorporate but may have various designs of roll off and hinged roofs to allow viewing.

Also note that if you can remove the whole roof you may get a better viewing angle but if you want to keep half (or so) with roof in place and have a warm room for your computer etc then could still have a sliding roof that slides back over the warm room to allow viewing, or the alternative is to hinge the roof so it folds down somehow.

Steve

I don't think there's a real answer to which is "better" other than "what works for you".

A pent roof can be simpler to construct, but requires one wall higher than the other unless part of the top of the high wall is combined with the roof which makes it less simple :)

A pitched roof is probably more complex to construct, but potentially allows more space underneath so the OTA may not need to be parked before closing the roof.  It might also offer more comfortable headroom if you're working inside.  You may need a fold-down gable if it obscures the view.

If you have space for the opening section of the roof to fold down rather than roll over the fixed roof then a pitched roof may perhaps be easier to work with.

If you have space for rails for a roof to roll off, but can't put posts in to support them then there are rail designs that don't use any supports and work more like a rail for a kitchen drawer.

James

When I was thinking about building an obsy I looked at various types and did much head scratching.

I eventually opted for a split roof on 'German' hinges so I could have either half open or closed.

The only downside is that it would be very difficult to automate / motorise. Other than that I have been delighted with it. It has transformed my imaging.

There are some build photos here but shout if you need to know anything about it.

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/micro-observatory

I wouldn't say its any better or worse than other designs but its nice and simple and works well.

I was asking myself the same questions last summer and ended up going for the apex design- although on mine both sides come off. There are definitely pro's and con's but I'm pleased with how it turned out. Like @Skipper Billy it has made a huge difference to my imaging.

I did a post about it here:

I would suggest wading through the build threads on this sub-forum. As others have said, I don't think there's a "best" design. The one that works best for you will depend on a number of factors - including how skilled you are at DIY if you intend to build it yourself. Only you can decide I'm afraid. 

The designs on this forum will pretty much cover every possible configuration. 

An important aspect I would consider early on is how to make the roof water tight. Taking the time to consider this level of detail before you start to build will pay dividends. Much better than trying to fix a design flaw once you've finished and water is pouring into the observatory!

For my build, I opted for an apex, with a N-S water run-off to improve the amount of sky visible to the north. This has worked well but I had to give plenty of thought to how I would deal with the rain during the design phase. 

The main advice I would give (which is probably worth very little, but worked for me!) is to design it to death before you start. Think if everything that could be a problem and design a solution on paper before starting (risk of rain & wind, security.....). 

Good luck with your planning and the build. Share your ideas when you've something in mind; I'm sure you'll get loads of support here. 

Thanks to everyone, keep the ideas coming, i have had the 12" 300PDS SkyWatcher from last October 2018, got it from Rother Valley, but, not sure how long it will be before i get to start, i also need to work out the pier arrangement as, i could NEVER afford the price tag on the ready made pier that is widely found in the advertisements at around £475, i accept that it is of steel construction, but if i did ever try to get one my wife would have some very bad words to say, lol lol.

I stated that due to the constraints of the area that the hopefull observatory will be constructed in, and the shed i am looking at 10ft x 8ft, it precludes any form of roll off as, it is near some prise fruit trees and the like, not in a position to effect viewing, no, but  they can not be moved and it is also the most secure area that the project can be built in, also, due to finding out just HOW heavy this monster is to erect  on its tripod, to set up, polar scope etc etc and all to get observing, i find that my health re ability to continually lift said scope, is compromised, so, the designated observatory is the obvious solution, and, YES. i could of got a smaller one, but having been used to a 17.5" refractor in its own observatory at Coventry College which i had a very great deal to do with, it was go this way or nothing.

Hope this is of interest and many grateful thanks and regards,                          Tom.

PS,   Can any one who knows who would be best to fix the instant reply thing !!!!!, as, i have sent a few messages now and have never been prompted in my mail as to new replies,    many thanks in advance.                             Tom.

16 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

@Skipper Billy How does the apex of the roof seal on your obsy?

The capping strip that runs along the apex is fixed to one half of the roof - this is the last side to be closed . When it is closed it covers the gap and has a silicone sealing strip. Its never let a drop of water through even in >100mph winds and torrential rain. (IE Summer up here) ?

Not really construction as such, but under permitted development rules, a double pitch roof can be up to 4m high, while a single pitch, or any other type of roof is limited to 3m, this includes domes. In both cases the eaves are limited to 2.5m. This assumes the observatory is 2m or more from a boundary.

I have just been thinking re the pier, could i construct this by making a square form of given size say, 102 sq and say to whatever length it needs to be, this would be inclusive of the section below ground, by making a wooden carcase and then with rebar inserted, filling it with concrete, thus, we have a pier, well, in theory i hope you would, any takers ?????????.

Very best regards to all,                     Tom.  

Archived