SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

S/W 150PL on a Giro ii /CG5 (2") tripod ?

I've long thought that the 150/f8 reflector with the smaller c/o would be a useful scope and although still a speculative idea I'm really edging towards giving it a go. I have a Giro ii Alt Az mount on a Celestron CG5 tripod (2" steel legs) which is very sturdy and should easily take the weight. Balance is everything with the Giro but that's easy to deal with. What is niggling at the back of my mind is the bulk of the 150PL acting as a bit of a sail catching the wind! I have enough equipment options to match scope to conditions so its not a case of having to go out with it when its a blowing a bit but if its going to quiver at the slightest breeze its a non starter. I had thought of the 6" skyliner dob option - and try it with tube rings on the Giro and maybe have the best of both worlds (?) but a Dob doesn't suit my current situation well and the 2" focuser, though obviously useful will be lost on me as I want to stick to 1.25: EPs.

Has anyone any experience of using the 150PL on a Giro type mount or similar? Any comments on this set up or useful information would be appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

The giro ii will handle that scope with ease, Ive had a c11 on mine once just for laughs and Ive put my 5" meade frac on it many times. The cg5 tripod is sturdy as well, so you shouldnt have any worries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, that's reassuring so looking promising. John, that looks a very nice set up - complete with a splash of green.I'm assuming that the scope shown is a 150PL but clearly it has a 2" dual speed focuser. Was that something you added yourself and if so was it easy surgery? At the moment I cannot see me going to a 2" but who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

It did require cutting a larger hole for the focuser so lots of small holes drilled to cut out the new hole. Not difficult just takes a bit  of time. Mounting plate was from Telescope Express.

I also replaced the mirrors with Orion Optics 1/10 pv ones and fitted one of their mirror cells as well. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It did require cutting a larger hole for the focuser so lots of small holes drilled to cut out the new hole. Not difficult just takes a bit  of time. Mounting plate was from Telescope Express.

I also replaced the mirrors with Orion Optics 1/10 pv ones and fitted one of their mirror cells as well. 

Thats quite a makeover! I replaced the focuser in a Tal1 reflector and that involved enlarging the focuser hole so I can visualise that work. Anyway that's all academic for now. Thanks John.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/03/2019 at 13:24, johninderby said:

What make are the two dovetail clamps? I've been looking for similar clamps, but havent found any.

2E6A9E24-7353-4C8A-BCBE-3DC01B35F0FA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I had a similar dovetail clamp on a Giro II mount, but sold the mount together with a telescope. The clamp was labeled "Astro", the product name of a Danish firm. but it looked identical to the ADM clamp. Loved the clamp for its stability. I'll get one of those when I upgrade my altaz mount, from the TS AZT6 to something (much) beefier. 

Pelarstativ 1.jpg

Pelarstativ 2.jpg

Pelarstativ 3.jpg

• Like 1