SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AA183 Cooled Mono Sensor Analysis

Robny

Hi All

Please see attached a senor analysis I ran on my camera through Sharpcap Pro, just wondering if anybody that knows better could dissect it a little for me...what does it tell, is there something I should know from this, does it give any type of recommended starting points.

The only info I can get from it with my LIMITED knowledge is (and I could be wrong) is that being a 12bit sensor with a full well depth of 4096, then 400 gain would be a good starting point for most things, as get me going?  Would I be rite in asuming that, or am I well off the mark?

I've also included a single flat frame, I dont seem to see much vignetting, is that normal or is it a poor flat frame?

Thanks as always 

AA183Mono Sensor Analysis.JPG

Capture_00001.png

That is pretty much how I would treat this sensor. Maybe a bit smaller gain, around 390 ish to get it to exactly unity gain (or closest value possible).

Lower gain than that will most likely work just fine if you need longer exposures and higher full well capacity at expense of a bit more noise in your data - both read noise and a bit of quantization noise. Otherwise use that gain setting.

Flat is pretty much ok - you won't be seeing much vignetting on a chip of that size - it's a smaller chip with 16mm diagonal. Most scopes have fully illuminated field larger than this.

Yes I would say that on that Altair scale then 400 is a good starting point. You dont want to over do gain on this camera from what I have gathered. 12 bit A/D and small pixels / amp glow results in issues at high gains. Around 11 stops of dynamic range should be fine.

Adam

Archived