SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

KSTARS/EKOS significant Problem with v 3.1.0

halli

Hi

I have recently moved from Windows/Ascom to using Indi via Kstars/Ekos and Ubuntu.

I found the raspberry Pi a bit underpowered for a full imaging rig and therefore installed Ubuntu on my Laptop together with Kstars/Ekos to improve performance.

The system worked fairly well until Kstars was updated to v3.1.0 from 3.0.0 recently, unfortunately  I found that my Atik EFW2 filter wheel driver kept crashing with v3.1.0.

I raised this on the Indi forum and Jasem the Ekos maintainer said that the Atik driver had not been built properly on v3.1.0 and he was going to rebuild it. 

However since then no rebuilt driver has appeared and I am now stuck.

I can now no longer use my rig as I cant change filters and am stuck with v3.1.0 that does not work with my Atik EFW2.

I would have though this would affect all Atik wheel users who have updated to Kstars v 3.1.0 !

Is there anyone out there who has solved this problem and can help me move forward please ?

Any help greatly appreciated !

Thanks in anticipation

30 minutes ago, halli said:

Hi

I have recently moved from Windows/Ascom to using Indi via Kstars/Ekos and Ubuntu.

I found the raspberry Pi a bit underpowered for a full imaging rig and therefore installed Ubuntu on my Laptop together with Kstars/Ekos to improve performance.

The system worked fairly well until Kstars was updated to v3.1.0 from 3.0.0 recently, unfortunately  I found that my Atik EFW2 filter wheel driver kept crashing with v3.1.0.

I raised this on the Indi forum and Jasem the Ekos maintainer said that the Atik driver had not been built properly on v3.1.0 and he was going to rebuild it. 

However since then no rebuilt driver has appeared and I am now stuck.

I can now no longer use my rig as I cant change filters and am stuck with v3.1.0 that does not work with my Atik EFW2.

I would have though this would affect all Atik wheel users who have updated to Kstars v 3.1.0 !

Is there anyone out there who has solved this problem and can help me move forward please ?

Any help greatly appreciated !

Thanks in anticipation

Try updating to the nightly build as the changes will probably be in that, but not the stable release as yet...

I dabbled with this software a couple of years back, might give it a try again...it’s probably come on loads since then...

Do you mean the indi driver (part of the indiserver) or ekos (the client)?

The nightly build of the driver/server is in this repository:

ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly

The latest stable release is here:

ppa:mutlaqja/ppa

You could of course go back to the "Working" version - especially if you backed up your laptop or used Virtualbox.  Versions ,if they exist, should be here https://launchpad.net/~mutlaqja. If not contact Jasem/Forum and suggest there should always be the older versions available (compiled) - else its a compile your own job or wait. Better to have back ups ?

Nightly route should not just be jumped at - you could be jumping "from the frying pan into the fire". Ask on the forum first ?

Plus quote "Nightly unstable builds for INDI and KStars are available. Do NOT use this in production. It is only available for testing purposes"

Take a look at this guide: https://indilib.org/download/ubuntu.html

Activate nightly builds and check if EFW2 work OK. Stable versions are released much less frequently, so you could have not got the update yet.

Anyway, I use EFW2 and have not noticed the issue with the latest driver. Actually I have noticed the problem but it was related to USB port on EFW2, which was soldered really badly and I found out it lost connection to USB pins. After resoldering everything works OK. You can check it out - just open EFW2 and inspect USB port - if it swings this might be a problem. I was really surprised how badly it was mounted by Atik guys on the main controller board.

Thanks for your responses Wim, Stash and Radek

I am assuming that the problem is related to the Kstars/Ekos build and not the driver  since it was the update to this that caused the problem.

1 hour ago, RadekK said:

Anyway, I use EFW2 and have not noticed the issue with the latest driver. Actually I have noticed the problem but it was related to USB port on EFW2, which was soldered really badly and I found out it lost connection to USB pins. After resoldering everything works OK. You can check it out - just open EFW2 and inspect USB port - if it swings this might be a problem. I was really surprised how badly it was mounted by Atik guys on the main controller board.

Dont think it is the EFW2 itself as the problem manifested when I updated to Kstars v3.1.0 - Jasem has stated that the build of the driver is incorrect in this version but since then has stopped responding !    Are you using V3.1.0 Radek ?

I have just checked and tested:

• KStars 3.1.0 (kstars-bleeding 6:3.1.0+201902271506~ubuntu16.04.1)
  • indi-atik 2.1~201902271934~ubuntu16.04.1
  • libatik 2.2.4~201902271745~ubuntu16.04.1

The above works without problem whatsoever. NB. KStars version does not matter, it is drivers' version which matters.

However I see that the latest ATIK drivers available are:

• indi-atik 2.2~201903091424~ubuntu16.04.1 armhf [upgradable from: 2.1~201902271934~ubuntu16.04.1]
  • libatik 2.2.5~201903091345~ubuntu16.04.1 armhf [upgradable from: 2.2.4~201902271745~ubuntu16.04.1]

I haven't installed these yet.

BTW. you can easily check your versions by running "dpkg -l|grep atik"

Thanks Radek.    I have checked my Atik drivers using the command you suggested with the following result:-

ii  indi-atik                                   2.1~201901081329~ubuntu16.04.1               amd64        INDI Driver for Atik cameras and filter wheels.
ii  libatik                                     2.2.4~201902271745~ubuntu16.04.1             amd64        Library for Atik Cameras.

Looks like the library is the same but the driver is different to yours perhaps because its amd64 ? However they are not the most recent it seems ?  Perhaps I should upgrade them to try and solve the problem, if so which command would do that ?

Thanks again for your help with this

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - if anyone is interested in the solution to this......

It was eventually solved by removing the Atik drivers specified above and installing the Atik Indi driver from the cloudmaker site ! 

This worked first time with the Atik EFW2 wheel...........

Archived