Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My journey with the Samyang 135mm

I've owned my Samyang 135mm lens for about 2 years. It's given me some good results. I use it on both the ccd and dslr and it never disappoints. It's had more use than my scope because it's so much fun and the FOV it gives. It's a solid little lens and rather heavy for its size. The focus is lovely and smooth and seems to hold even when pointing straight up. These images have been taken using either my  Canon 60da or my Atik 460.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 29

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought Geordie's 135 to add to my 14mm and it is sublime lens.  I am getting started with wide-field.  It is on my 1100D at the moment but I am looking at fittign my Atik 460 to it.

Adamar98, how did you connect your Atik 460 (with filter wheel?) to the lens?  Is it canon fit?  Mono?

Which is the more suitable for this type of imaging ?

A 135mm prime like this?

Or a small refractor, i'm thinking a William optics zenithstar 61 ?

I have a little pot of cash but would like to get the best bang for my buck.

It would be used with Dslr's and mounted on a star adventurer.

One of the main reasons I ask is that these images are extremely good !

Very well done

Cheers, Andy

8 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

Which is the more suitable for this type of imaging ?

A 135mm prime like this?

Or a small refractor, i'm thinking a William optics zenithstar 61 ?

I have a little pot of cash but would like to get the best bang for my buck.

It's a tricky question and depends on what people want to image. I would recommend the Samyang F2 for anyone starting out in AP. Tracking is more forgiving at short focal lengths and higher signal-to-noise ratios will make for easier image processing. The lens also holds its value well, so it could always be sold on and replaced with a scope later.

• Like 3

I've had two of these lenses, they are fantastic and are capable of seriously deep images. It managed to nail the IFN in just 6 hours ☺ no mean feat! 

Integrated Flux - Scott Rosen method

But, it's always handy to have data aside from longer fl instruments to fill in the finer details in areas of interest.

• Like 8

heh

These are the results of proper tools in proper hands!!! 

I have both left hands I think...  :)
My result from only 2 sessions I managed to have using my Canon 1300D from London...

I found it Very difficult to process...

Rosette Nebula [N2244]

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 3

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:16, Knight of Clear Skies said:

It's a tricky question and depends on what people want to image. I would recommend the Samyang F2 for anyone starting out in AP. Tracking is more forgiving at short focal lengths and higher signal-to-noise ratios will make for easier image processing. The lens also holds its value well, so it could always be sold on and replaced with a scope later.

Thanks heaps for your reply.

This sounds like a very sensible option and the photos in this timeline demonstrate what can be achieved with that setup.

cheers,

Andy

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 03:33, Uranium235 said:

I've had two of these lenses, they are fantastic and are capable of seriously deep images. It managed to nail the IFN in just 6 hours ☺ no mean feat! 

Integrated Flux - Scott Rosen method

But, it's always handy to have data aside from longer fl instruments to fill in the finer details in areas of interest.

Hi Rob,

Is this imaged through a Samyang f2??

Is so, its fantastic.

Just one question. The stars are showing quite pronounced diffraction spikes (I personally really like them). Is this a quality of the sheer length of the integration time here? or is it a quality of this lens?. I wouldn't have  expected to see spikes like this off of a camera lens ?

Many thanks,

Andy

18 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

Hi Rob,

Is this imaged through a Samyang f2??

Is so, its fantastic.

Just one question. The stars are showing quite pronounced diffraction spikes (I personally really like them). Is this a quality of the sheer length of the integration time here? or is it a quality of this lens?. I wouldn't have  expected to see spikes like this off of a camera lens ?

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Its a combination of a number of factors, the lens was wide open @ f2 but the largest contributing factor was the very lengthy processing required to dig out the IFN but keep the stars down to a more acceptable size. Next to the 100Mp mosaic I did a few years ago, this was by far the toughest thing to process as I had to learn a whole new method (called screen mask invert).... which takes forever (as its an iterative process).

I did cover that method a couple of years ago at one of my processing workshops, but it did make a few brains explode...lol.

Normally diffraction spikes from refractor telescopes are caused by the cell clips - which gives a good indication of your quality of focus (no spikes = focus not good enough).... but I'm not so sure that is the case with a camera lens (as in having cell clips).

Though in the grand scheme of things 6 hours isn't that long, but a I was at a dark site so that helped a lot. Its just a shame I never got to add colour to it.

But another great thing about f2 is that is it is so fast, you can work at a speed that counters the Earths rotation - its the only way I was able to bag the below image from 52degrees North:

35260828101_3e7082668a_k.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Hmmm.... Im thinking that there may be enough users of this particular lens to start a showcase thread (similar to the 130pds or 80ED thread).

I am sure there are lots of users and with the popularity of camera trackers now like the SA it is an ideal match...

Alan

Same Set-up as mine (with the atik 460ex. only had a few nights last week so was mostly fiddling with things. Great to see so many good images with this little lens though. Gives me hope :D

32556864647_f9bd43c3b2_o.pngFlaming Star Nebula_Stretch_Gradient_Sharpen. by Scott Prideaux, on Flickr

33616563468_4c7ce8436e_o.pngSadr to Crescent by Scott Prideaux, on Flickr

40520670023_7536dd9cf9_o.pngheart and soul by Scott Prideaux, on Flickr

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Hmmm.... Im thinking that there may be enough users of this particular lens to start a showcase thread

An excellent idea - and not just images but also images of how members have mounted the lens and overcome spacing and remote focussing challenges maybe?

Thank you.

Adrian

13 hours ago, Adreneline said:

An excellent idea - and not just images but also images of how members have mounted the lens and overcome spacing and remote focussing challenges maybe?

Thank you.

Adrian

Sure, later on i will kick off another thread for people to share their experiences with this brilliant but of kit. 

Not sure about remote focus though, perhaps someone else has figured out a belt type system? But I found that manual works fine - and it saves a couple of hundred quid :)  

• Like 1

I am actually in the beginning of modeling a 3D print for Sam135+ASi1600MM+EFW+DIY autofocuser+Guider all in one larger bracket, which will be printed from around 4 parts.

The largest Headache is to keep lens and cam straight, without any tilt, plus I want to avoid any adjustments bolts like usual guider-scopes have. The goal, - Model like: "fit it in and forget it, as all in line, no adjustments needed")......

Also, to place the motor somewhere as low as possible is quite challenging "space-wise and balance-wise"...

Taking into account, I have both left hands :) it will take awhile! :)

But I will try to share my progress if results will be not very miserable! :)

• Like 1