Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and flame 9 year project

MartinB

In 2010 I imaged the horse head and flame and since then have never imaged the area.  I was looking at the image recently and decided to add some more data and try a reprocess.  I managed a good few nights in February but most of the subs had to be rejected owing to high cloud.  Adding in the 2010 data I ended up with a complex set of subs and calibration files, I got lost in the complexity of it all so sub details are a bit iffy. 

Scope: fsq106 @ F3.8 

Camera: QSI532 wsg

Filters Baader Ha 7nm and RGB

Ha 30x900secs RGB each a mix of 60 and 80 secs and lots of them!

Captured, debloomed, calibrated and combined with Maxim and endlessly processed in PS.

I have been reading a lot about APP and thought it would be worth trying it on this complicated dataset.  The process is quite a faff compared with Maxim and I don't know whether I was pleased or disappointed when I could find no discernible difference between the APP and Maxim combined images.

The image presented a smorgasbord of challenges.  I just couldn't get rid of the grey halo around Alnitak and the star itself looked sad and subdued so I blinged it up with Starspikes Pro!  

It isn't in the same league as Peter Shah's recent efforts but I'm not too disappointed.  I can now get back on with my life!

Horsehead and Flame 2010 and Feb 2019.jpg

Looks fantastic Martin.  Any chance of seeing the original result back in 2010 for comparison?

Adding in the 2010 data I ended up with a complex set of subs and calibration files, I got lost in the complexity of it all so sub details are a bit iffy.

I know what you mean, I sometimes dig out old data and add to it. Got completely lost with the details in NGC1333 as I had tried to add luminance to it over several years with different scopes and camera, so had to take a guess in the end.

Carole 

Archived