Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Ladies and gentleman,
Thank you for helping me in advance.
As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
1. Around €1000
2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
4. Beginner friendly
5. Size is not a problem
8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
I'm looking forward to you guys advice.
Happy stargazing and clear skies!
I thought i'd revisit this one, as i was never truly sure abut the processing originally.
So with this one, i sought to improve the stars (they're a big improvement) but also bring out more of the dark nebulosity. Did i go too far though?! Looking at it again today i think i may have. 🤔
Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)
OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)
RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s
The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (522mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2.
The original version can be seen on the Astrobin link.
C&C welcome and clear skies folks!
ps - At the moment this is still at 100%, but i'll probably end up down-sampling it to about 50%. I don't think it can hold up to 100% tbh.
Edit - Here's the new, now much more toned-down, version. It's a clear improvement, so i'll have to keep reminding myself not to try and go for big & bright, when subdued nearly always ends up looking better!
Original, nasty over-bright version:
My club's Atlas is stuck on the date 11/13/2099. Last night was 6/28/2019. Every time I reset the date and started the 3 star alignment the scope chose Vega and then pointed to the western sky - sorta wonky. When I tried a second star it aimed at a totally wrong part of the sky. I went back to date and it had reset to the11/13/2099 date. The mount has a working GPS module. I went through all the menus and there was no place other than the " sub menu to attempt to replace the errant date. After five tries I gave up. Apparently the GPS was accurate to withing a stride or two. What should I try next? I know my club; they'd rather stuff it in a corner than take the time or money to fix it. So it will be m time and my money. I used the mount several times this year and had no problem.
I'm super happy to have found this forum of night sky enthusiasts and look forward to learning and sharing on this site! I am an amateur stargazer fortunate to live in a rural area with great dark skies. I'm used to using a GoTo Celestron.
Unfortunately I'm having a problem with a newly purchased Orion SkyQuest XTg 10.
I've only used it a couple of times. Recently, when I turn on the power, the hand controller (a SynScan V4 GoTo, version 04.39.04) states a message "Both axes...no response!" which means the motors won't work.
I've unplugged all the cords & replugged to no avail. The power comes from a new Orion Dynamo Pro, 12 V, Lithium Power Supply which was recommended.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
Thank you 🌟
First things first, apologies for posting this one out of season. A combination of no astro dark, crappy weather, and being busy at work has meant that there's no imaging getting done at all these days. So, i've had to turn to old data to re-process, and this data set was an obvious candidate as i was never happy with how it came out originally. And looking back on it now with fresh eyes, boy did it need it!
Nikon D5300, SW 80ED, HEQ5-Pro.
3 x 1200s, 2 x 1380s, and 4 x 1500s of Ha
9 x 1200s of Oiii.
11 x 480s with an IDAS-D1, for RGB stars only
7 Hrs 54 Mins in Total.
Stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Combined as SHO (using a 70/30 blend of Ha/Oiii for the Sii).
The main differences this time were, using Starnet++ to create the starless versions, using more Ha in the synthesized Sii (70% instead of 50% last time), but mostly the improvement has come from toning down the stretch a lot (ok, a heck of a lot!) before making the colour map for the tone-mapping. From then on it was immediately apparent that i'd made a massive boo-boo first time round 🙈
I've included a 1080p rotated crop too, as i quite liked the framing.
Feels like ages since i last did any NB imaging. I almost forgot how much i enjoy it! 🙂
And rather embarrassingly, here's the original. Try not to laugh too hard! 😂 😂 😂